Carbon fork and Fork Cages

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kingspirit

Hi All,
How safe to attach and load something like fork cage (see the pictures) to the Carbon fork which doesn't have that special bosses on the fork. Just plain Carbon fork ( Cannondale Topstone 2 2021)
Would you attach something like it or maybe already have it attached? Cheers

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220714-095826.png
    Screenshot_20220714-095826.png
    76.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20220714-110014.png
    Screenshot_20220714-110014.png
    243 KB · Views: 8

T4tomo

Legendary Member
https://www.dolan-bikes.com/dolan-g...h_io-ZglZ6ahvU5tkCUWaKmR2bUB-JbRoCnFEQAvD_BwE

don't bodge it, it will slip and flip you over the bars. get a fork that's designed for bikepacking if that's what you want to do, or use bar and frame bags / seat post pack (with a alu post) etc

Last edited:

Juliansou

I’ve got pretty much the same set up with the Planet X version (looks exactly the same). I must admit I had the same dilemma but did it anyway! No problems so far but I did use the supplied jubilee clips rather than the cable ties which slipped after my first test run. Had them on for a year now and a few miles under my belt.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I wouldn't. Not because it will slip, but because the tubes are not designed for compression forces around the circumference and leaving those straps tightened around them could cause failure.

Would also concern me that grit etc could get trapped between the bottle mount and fork and cause abrasion; which could act as a failure initiation point..

Wooger

This smacks of 'Just buy some pannier bags you plonker: part 11'

Putting weight on your bars and forks is awful compared to having it on the back - a toptube or handlebar bag for stuff you actually need to access quickly should be plenty then.

Top Bottom