Carbon Forks or Disc Brakes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bagss2

Regular
Hi guys & girls,

I'm currently considering two used-but-apparently-well-maintained Specialized Sirrus hybrids... I'm on a tight budget and naturally would prefer a decent quality and reasonable spec used bike than a new-but-rubbish one.

Both are XL frames, one is a 2006 Sirrus Elite, the other is a Sirrus Sport (I'm currently awaiting confirmation of the model year - although the paint scheme etc looks mighty similar to the '06 Elite).

Both bikes seem to meet my needs. I appreciate that there may be further differences in component spec, but the two key differences between them are:

Sirrus Elite - Carbon Forks, 'Normal' Brakes
Sirrus Sport - 'Normal' Forks, Disc Brakes

Which would you suggest is more important for me, for year-round commuting (country lanes, including up- and downhills)?

Also, does anyone have an opinion as to what these bikes are roughly worth (to make sure I don't over-pay!).

Many thanks in advance,

Cheers, Baggers. :rolleyes:

Discs.

I've recently taken the Alpine carbon fork off my On-One Pompino and replaced it with their disc fork. Braking with the cable disc is much better than the cantis was and doesn't require tweaking on an almost weekly basis. Can't say I've noticed much difference with road buzz betweenthe carbon and steel and weight difference was insignificant. Its also the same colour as the bike which is nice too.
Year round use - consistant braking and no gunge to cover you and wear rims.

Also as you are going the used route can you be sure there is no horrible snapping of damaged carbon waiting for you? Just a thought like :evil:

OP
OP
B

bagss2

Regular
Thanks for the reply Piemaster.

I ended up going for neither bike in the end - having realised that they were both too large for me (and the Sport Disc was a basket-case of replacement downgraded components!).

I've ended up with an 'as-new' 2010 Claud Butler Urban 500. It has a reasonable spec, including a carbon fork. However, the bike has done less than 100 miles over two months - it's yet to go in for its first service with the LBS. So, hopefully the fork will be ok for me for the next couple of years...

Cheers, Baggers.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Too late to help you. but I'd have gone for the disc brake too. Carbon forks are a seriously over-rated bit of kit, weight saving aside. When I hear about "road buzz" I wonder what people are on about because in nearly half a century the only thing that has ever made a bike feel harsh for me are crap tyres and tubes. Steel, aluminium and CF all felt the same.

OP
OP
B

bagss2

Regular
Thanks Smokin Joe.

I guess my initial question was borne out of looking at two used bikes, for the same money, with the major distinguishing feature being 'CF forks vs. discs'.

To help with that decision, I was seeking the benefit of experience.

As it happens, I've ended up with a bike with CF forks, but not because it has them - if that makes sense? :wacko:

Cheers, Baggers.

Top Bottom