Carbon Forks - Strip and paint

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dhd.evans1

I'm getting my bike painted because reasons. The frame is aluminium which the paint shop is happy with, but the forks are carbon fibre and the shop won't touch them.

Has anyone here stripped and painted a set of carbon forks and if so, how and do you have any tips for a newbie like me?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I should leave them alone. Why do you want to paint them?

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
What kind of paint shop is it? Surely, not one that specializes in bicycles - if that's the case I've no idea why they would refuse do do a CF component. If it's a local 'scratch and dent'mechanic that's another story - they might not have anyone who's confident in handling CF.

It's very labor intense to strip paint off of CF - a lot of wet sanding basically.

Sharky

Guru
What would be the cost of the fork respray if it were alu as well?

You could compare against the price of a brand new fork. You could be lucky and find a clearance or bargain set. I picked up a set from planet x for £45 once.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Perhaps the paint could react with the carbon fibre and weaken it? You can't spray certain plastics (e.g. motorbike helmets) for that reason.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Painting carbonfibre isn't really a problem. Degrease the fork with warm water and washing liquid and abrade very lightly with 320grit wet and dry (used wet) until the surface is matt. Then use a two-pack paint system from any reputable marine paint manufacturer, such as AkzoNobel (International, Awlgrip) or Hempel.

Unfortunately going that route is going to be really expensive because the minimum quantities and equipment will be ludicrous for one pair of forks. Maybe another source would have smaller quantities, but I would look at getting them vivyl wrapped. Places are offering to do bikes even with clear wrap being used as protection over paint. You could even have a cabonfibre effect done.

OP
OP
dhd.evans1

dhd.evans1

What would be the cost of the fork respray if it were alu as well?

You could compare against the price of a brand new fork. You could be lucky and find a clearance or bargain set. I picked up a set from planet x for £45 once.
Fork spray would be included so £60 total!

The forks are direct mount brake and I wouldn't know where to start looking for new ones.

OP
OP
dhd.evans1

dhd.evans1

What kind of paint shop is it? Surely, not one that specializes in bicycles - if that's the case I've no idea why they would refuse do do a CF component. If it's a local 'scratch and dent'mechanic that's another story - they might not have anyone who's confident in handling CF.

It's very labor intense to strip paint off of CF - a lot of wet sanding basically.
Aye, several different shops I've been in touch with (IPF painting in Glenrothes, Pentland in Broxburn, couple of body shops in Arbroath) have all said "Nae danger" to CF forks.

Top Bottom