Carbon frame bike, 105/equiv minimum spec

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
pkeenan

pkeenan

Über Member
The Dolans look nice. I wonder how they manage to put such an expensive groupset on a carbon fibre bike and sell it at that price - impressive.

Not sure about sacking the carbon - the few I've ridden have been rather blissful, so I'm positive about going down that route. I have been looking at good allu frames though, haven't ruled it out. Part of me wonders about screwing the idea of a new bike completely, and just putting the money into a DA groupy for my Allez. But I think I'd rather get the frame I'm after first... I don't know!

I think my main concern at this point is upgrading the frameset. A good quality cf frame, which I can spec up over time.
Been some damn good suggestions so far - thanks all.

I'm also looking to upgrade from Spesh Dolce to a caad 10 with ultegra or the cube agree or similar model.It's so helpful to have other people's opinions on the bikes.
The CAAD is an awesome beast. I've had a Trek Madone 5.5 and a Focus Cayo Pro, (both cf), and the CAAD is lighter than both of them. The ride is equally comfortable for a race geometry frame, and I find I can ride it farther and faster than either cf bike I owned before.

Hope that helps :smile:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that, that's very helpful. I had heard on the grapevine that cannondales can be a bit unreliable. I e heard them called "crash & fail" or something like! My husband has had a prob with one of the cranks which is a known prob. Have you had any exp of this? I love the look of th me caad 10,but wonder whether to go for the women's or men's (if they go small enough). Hmmmm,decisions!

I think my main concern at this point is upgrading the frameset. A good quality cf frame, which I can spec up over time.
Been some damn good suggestions so far - thanks all.

if you currently have an Allez, why are you not considering the Tarmac..?

Thanks for that, that's very helpful. I had heard on the grapevine that cannondales can be a bit unreliable.
Never heard of that TBH.
The only problem I've had has been with the BB30 bottom bracket, (but so have loads of others on loads of other makes too). Google BB30 problems for more info.

I've converted mine now to Hollowtech II and it's perfect.

Sadly loads of manufacturers have jumped on the BB30 bandwagon, but as long as everything is well greased it should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billy1561

BB wrecker
Thanks for that, that's very helpful. I had heard on the grapevine that cannondales can be a bit unreliable. I e heard them called "crash & fail" or something like! My husband has had a prob with one of the cranks which is a known prob. Have you had any exp of this? I love the look of th me caad 10,but wonder whether to go for the women's or men's (if they go small enough). Hmmmm,decisions!
I've got a dale and to be fair it's a fantastic bike but i did have issues initially. The bottom bracket failed after just one day and i had the full bike replaced immediately under warranty. The problem was with a faulty batch of bearings at that time.
This was a 2011 model so i assume that the issue is well resolved now.

OP
OP
pkeenan

pkeenan

Über Member
if you currently have an Allez, why are you not considering the Tarmac..?

This is a good point. I guess my initial thought was to look around, see what else there is apart from Specialized - though I am aware of the fact that they are a top brand.

Would be interesting to know how the Specialized Tarmac 105 at £1500 would compare to the Boardman Team Carbon 105 at £1299.99. Of course, I understand the Specialized I've just linked is the new 2013 model, but I think it's a valid question nonetheless - especially as the 2012 model comes in at £1400 with a Tiagra outfit...

Top Bottom