Carbon Frame Crash.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris1983

I managed to spectacularly shatter my crank axle at the weekend on the road bike. i'll put some pictures up later ;-) and thankfully my frame didn't shatter into a million pieces :-)

As a result of the crank exiting the bike both Stage Right and Left at the same time, both me and the bike hit the deck did some damage to both bike and rider, but not a massive amount or so it would appear.

I've always been a bit nervous that laying a carbon frame bike down would right it off. but it would appear not, unless there is hidden damage to the composite material underneath. But i don't think there there will be.

There are few nice scratches on the on the shifter, quick release skewers and the saddle. But the frame looks to be OK. I can't see any scratches on the frame, impact marks etc. All there is, is a chip in the paint down to the carbon on the Chain Stay where I image the crank/chain wheel hit the chain stay as it left the bike in spectacular fashion. i can't see any other cracks or marks. I was a bit concerned that that as the crank snapped, bearing in mind that i was standing on the pedals in a full sprint at the time that this would have acted as a lever and ripped the bottom out of the bottom bracket, but i can't see any evidence of that.

So firstly it appears that carbon is not as fragile as glass and it also appears that the frame never touched the tarmac :-) I can't see how there could be any damage to the material inside the frame if there is only a chip in the paint on the outside.

I also appreciate that its pretty impossible to give any sort of accurate opinion on the state of a frame without seeing it ;-) but anyone care to agree or disagree that if you can't see any signs of physical damage then chance are all will be good? and would you ride a carbon frame again after a crash?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've crashed a few times, and the only damage to the carbon forks, when I got my spine fractured, was a superficial scratch.

OP
OP
C

Chris1983

A few after pictures of my crank
DSC_0886.JPG
DSC_0887.JPG
DSC_0890.JPG

screenman

Legendary Member
My third cousin's sisters boyfriends fathers uncles grandmother had a a carbon fibre bike the melted into fairy dust whilst she was riding it.

The first frame I snapped was steel and I was 8 at the time, the second an alloy in my thirties.

si_c

Guru
That's astonishing.

D

Deleted member 1258

That was my thoughts as well. I'm amazed that this didn't cause any other damage to the bike....

I assumed that the frame would have been a write off. But I can't see any damage to the bb area visually...

I'd be worried about damage inside the bottom bracket area. Thats a bit spectacular, I've never seen one self destruct like that. possible manufacturing fault?

OP
OP
C

Chris1983

Shimano crank, it's their unbranded range thats supposed to be 105 equivalent.

The whole bottom bracket came out at the same time and I can't see any damage in void for the bb....

I've taken the crank to my lbs. I've had the bike 35 months so there is 1 month warranty left on the bike. But apparently on two years on all components so it's 11 months out of warranty.

The lbs were quite surprised also when I took that into them. Hopefully this week I will get an update on what shimano say...or at least the uk importers.

Top Bottom