Carbon frame damage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I have just noticed a scuff on my frame. It might have been done by someone putting their bike the other side of of a bike stand and the handlebar rubbing.
It looks as though it is just the paint scrapped off. Should I be concerned and either way is their anything I can do ?
It is about the same diameter as a pen.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
If it's just a scuff then it's nothing to worry about. Carbon frames are far tougher then people think.

If it's just a scuff then it's nothing to worry about. Carbon frames are far tougher then people think.
^^^^This^^^^
I got a scuff mark on my Carbon frame about 5years ago after keeping it pristine for 3 years, I reckon somebody at a cafe put their bike on top of it and their sti levers marked it. Annoying as it was when I eventually retired the bike circa 8000miles later it had never caused me a real problem but made me want to:cry:at the time!

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
It'll be fine, it's just a little scuff by the sounds of it. I know it's painful when you have a new frame but just like having a new car, it'll never remain pristine. It'll always get marks on it, just learn to accept them and you'll feel better about it. You may even see them as signs of decent usage. Badges of honour if you will, or battle scars. Carbon is tough, it's not compromised by a scuff, so don't worry.
Miss seeing you on Tripadvisor by the way Mr C!

OP
OP
mr_cellophane

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Nah that's gonna melt next time it rains.
Rained today while I was out. Back to the steel bike till the spring. (only because it has mudguards)

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I covered various parts of the frame of my carbon-framed road bike in clear protective stickers, which are very unobtrusive and easily replaced when they start getting worn. It very effectively protects the frame against marks from sticks, stones, etc.

Top Bottom