Carbon frame or alloy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
I'd go for aluminium or steel for a commuter, as others say more options for fitting pannier racks to carry any clothes, kit, lunch etc. Saving a kilo of weight off the bike isn't such a big concern when you're starting out on improving your fitness. Look for a bike that can take mudguards as well. Much more civilised and pleasant experience when your feet aren't getting soaked.
Look for wheels with at least 32 spokes, less than that and they may be more prone to failure with your current weight, also try and get a frame with clearance for 32mm wide tyres with guards, which will probably mean you also get disc brakes which are better.

Enjoy

OP
OP
V

Vernon7026

Regular
Many thanks for all your replies, loads of investigating to do :smile:

DSK

Another vote for aluminium for a do-it-all style bike.

Fwiw, I have 2 carbon bikes, the second one I bought with the intention to use as my wet bike but, cannot bring myself to use it in crap weather or treat it like a work horse despite them both being fully wrapped in clear paint protection film. This echo's some of the previous comments about carbon. I'm looking for a 3rd bike or, frame set that I can build and use as a speedy proper wet bike/commuter and aluminium is not to be dismissed by any means.

As for wheels, different bikes come with different wheels. Should you find you need more robust wheels, there is knowledge and expertise to help point you in the right direction.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Another vote for aluminium for a do-it-all style bike.

Fwiw, I have 2 carbon bikes, the second one I bought with the intention to use as my wet bike but, cannot bring myself to use it in crap weather or treat it like a work horse despite them both being fully wrapped in clear paint protection film.
Its a bike just ride them. They will not spontaniously combust or go soggy in the rain.both my carbon bikes get used all year round. Whats the point in having nice bikes and worry about them getting wet.🤣

DSK

Its a bike just ride them. They will not spontaniously combust or go soggy in the rain.both my carbon bikes get used all year round. Whats the point in having nice bikes and worry about them getting wet.🤣

Nothing wrong with using carbon but, my understanding is that carbon can be made strong and weak how the designers weave/lay the carbon. Ultimately, I feel that Aluminium will fair better with a spill (generally) than carbon. Each to their own... I paid what is a lot of money to me, for my carbon bikes, as a result, I wish to preserve them in their current condition. Personally I'm happier building/buying something cheaper as a commuter.

Top Bottom