Carbon frame question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ayceejay

Guru
I bought my first carbon framed bike in June (Willier XP Izoard) so I have no experience to guide me. The frame is showing an increasing number of areas that I can only describe as 'bloom' and I am not sure if this is normal. Another way to describe it, and this is what I thought it was is like transparent transfers lifting. I tried to take pictures but it doesn't show well under flash so I will try again tomorrow in daylight. I guess the question boils down to: should the finish resemble the even coating you get with paint on a steel or aluminium bike or is there some harmless explanation for what I am seeing?

02GF74

Über Member
hard to say without seeing it - is the frame raw carbon with clear laquer?
is it a cheap frame? could be the UV affecting the laquer but unlikley if ytou are in the UK or maybe the laquer is coming away - if you press on those parts, is there any movement?

can you not ask at the shop where you bought it?

OP
OP
ayceejay

ayceejay

Guru
All good questions. There is no movement, not cheap but not top of the line either, not raw carbon, UV mmmn. I will take it back but I just wanted to be better informed before I make a fuss for nothing.

OP
OP
ayceejay

ayceejay

Guru
Pictures as promised. So what do yo reckon, do I have a problem?

izoard blemish-369.jpg
izoard blemish-371.jpg

amaferanga

Veteran
I can't tell from the pictures. Is there bubbling in the lacquer or is it just the look of the carbon weave that you have a problem with?

OP
OP
ayceejay

ayceejay

Guru
Before I settle on "no biggie" can someone explain to me what it is I am seeing. Does this occur on ALL carbon frames, if so why?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
What are we even looking at here?

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I think the OP is saying that the shapes in the carbon are changing, like one of those magic eye pictures you used to look at in Athena, back in 1990?

02GF74

Über Member
this :The frame is showing an increasing number of areas that I can only describe as 'bloom'

the frame being carbon will not be an even colour, if that is the word; there will be places where the weave is slightly oout of alignment - all this is normal.

but is you are saying areas are changing, then that is strange.

but again unfortunately it is one of those things you have to see in person.

Top Bottom