Carbon Frame Scratch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aescott

Regular
Hi

I'm about to get a new carbon MTB - unfortunately, the frame has a large scratch on the top tube. The bike shop called me to tell me before I went in to get it (I go tomorrow). They've said that the scratch/gouge can be repaired, but that they would be quicker just getting a new bike than waiting for the repair guy to fit it in. Alternatively, they'll offer me some money off.

I'll see the bike tomorrow and try it for size, and also see how bad the scratch is (the photo they sent doesn't make it really clear).

Given that my current bike was in pristine condition for about a week, should I insist on a new bike, or just accept it's the first of many damages that the bike will suffer? The money off isn't so much of an issue, but I'm curious what others think.

Local bike shop, by the way, not a big retailler.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Go and take a look - may polish out with t-cut if it's painted. Decent discount ? My last three bikes in the house have been two 'used bikes' and one 'shop soiled', and the 'first scratch' wasn't a problem as it had some. Saved a fortune as it had a big scratch/chip on the down tube. Given it's a mountain bike, it had loads more once I rode it properly.

PS I do look after my bikes, and scratches annoy me, but that's life.

Drago

Legendary Member
Demand a new bike.

If you're happy to buy a damaged bike then buy a used one at a third the price.

If you want a new bike, and you're paying for a new bike, then it should be a new bike and not a shop soiled one.

It's your choice, of course, but I'd wait for a replacement.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Get a new bike. I know it's a bit inconvenient, but the shop can send the bike back with out any financial loss to them.
If it is a really small scratch and you can live with it you could take their offer, but personally, I wouldn't.

silva

Über Member
If the scratch doesn't cause aerodynamical issues I'd leave it and answer ppl that ask about it, that the bike adapted to its owner.

simongt

Guru
If they are considering it needs repairing then it’s more than cosmetic. Request an intact new bike.
Agree, it'll give you peace of mind. :okay:

gbb

Legendary Member
My Ribble CF gained a 2 inch scratch in the shed when I clumsily slipped with something.
It worried me at first, the top tube isn't heavy, but it seems it is just a scratch. A few years of use and its fine strength wise. I tried T Cut but it didn't help...and tbf, it bugs me every time I see it.
I'd wait for a new bike.

Top Bottom