Carbon Frames - last only 3 years?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snailracer

Über Member
How long between crashes?

actonblue

Über Member
It's not known how long it will last. Is the bike monocoque or are the tubes bonded together? There have been instances where steel steerers have come away from carbon forks due to incorrect bonding process. We will have to wait and see.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
It's not known how long it will last. Is the bike monocoque or are the tubes bonded together? There have been instances where steel steerers have come away from carbon forks due to incorrect bonding process. We will have to wait and see.

But that sounds like a manufacturing fault, not a problem caused by 'aged carbon'.

Fiona N

Veteran
[QUOTE 1539556"]
Yes it is, me thinks you're mixing your stresses and strains.
[/quote]

Well it depends what you're referring to - the actual carbon fibres or the composite material.

And I understood materials were stressed to failure - whereas strain is the deformation caused by application of stress. Too great a degree or rate of stress application can cause failure - depending on the properties of the material.

And it's really odd the number of times you see pros get back on their (carbon-framed, carbon-forked, carbon handlebars) bikes after a serious prang - they must be really crazy, eh!

FWIW I've seen 2 carbon failures, neither to a frame. One was a handlebars incident, the other a seat post - in both cases the item in question had been subject to far too high compression by the person doing up the bolts on the stem/frame. Can't protect against macho mechanics who are too stupid to use a torque wrench :sad:

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Ive been very interested in carbon fibre in the last week. And was thinking that not all carbon fibre can be the same can it ? Its got to be like everything else, tea, coffee, steel, diamonds. They all have different qualities.

Well it's no differerent with carbon fibre. It can be graded as totally useless to high end. High end carbon fibre it what formula one use and space ships maybe ? Low grade cheap stuff is what you may have on your new £400 Specialized push bike ? And even more poor carbon fibre on counterfit illegal copied imports ?

It looks like from the links below the quality of the carbon fibre is mainly down to the ingredients used to make carbon fibre and then there is the build quality.

So just becouse it's carbon does not mean it's fantastic. It could be the worst component on your bike just like any other cheap material you choose whether it be steel or aluminum.

Sorry about the grammer

http://www.fitwerx.c...on-carbon-fiber

http://www.fitwerx.c...e-bike-industry

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member

YahudaMoon

Über Member
I think this Trek article is not only for carbon though ! I think these rules apply in all materials.

I was suprised though at the amount of high end bikes being built in other countrys other than their birth place >>>>>>>>>>>>

snailracer

Über Member
But that sounds like a manufacturing fault, not a problem caused by 'aged carbon'.
Yes, but some materials are more tolerant of imperfect manufacturing than carbon. You can weld steel with greasy hands in the rain and the join will still be strong - not true with carbon (or even aluminium).

PK99

Legendary Member
Not only are people riding around on carbon frames there are thousands of people riding on alloy frames with carbon forks.

It's all scaremongering and pretty much irresponsible.

My tricross with carbon forks came with Specialized guidance to replace the forks after 3 years - yes, i am sad enough to read all the bumf that arrived with the bike

Fiona N

Veteran
Yes, but some materials are more tolerant of imperfect manufacturing than carbon. You can weld steel with greasy hands in the rain and the join will still be strong - not true with carbon (or even aluminium).

But I've had two (custom) steel frames crack at the welds. Both from very reputable builders using good quality tubing. So steel's not completely foolproof :biggrin:

OP
OP
M

mac1

Aggravating bore magnet
My tricross with carbon forks came with Specialized guidance to replace the forks after 3 years

aha...so my mate did have something, but not quite right as Zoiders said earlier. He also thinks the oil companies are behind the promotion of cycling helmets (use of plastic), but that's for another thread...

Top Bottom