Carbon frames

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Terrible material that carbon, shocking. If anyone has a S-Works Stump Jumper 2020 they don't like, I'll re-cycle it or the Enduro - not fussy. :rolleyes:

What you do have to remember though, is how CF works, in regard to taking whacks. It forms new surfaces, without disintegration. This means that it’s shock absorption properties change over time, and CF frames can start to feel relatively ‘soggy’ as they get used / abused.

fossyant

What you do have to remember though, is how CF works, in regard to taking whacks. It forms new surfaces, without disintegration. This means that it’s shock absorption properties change over time, and CF frames can start to feel relatively ‘soggy’ as they get used / abused.

No it doesn't. You'll see tell tale issues of a material failure, just like any other material. It doesn't go 'soft'. Massive damage, it snaps vs bends in some other materials, and even they snap/crack.

It's a fabulous material, just like others. Super light steel and 'alloy' frames aren't strong in the wrong direction - they bend rather than snap. The steel on my Columbus SLX bike is wafer thin. Sounds like 'tin' with the 'finger tip flick'. My mate did that on my alloy Boardman MTB this weekend, wafer thin !!

No it doesn't

Yes it does. That’s exactly how it works. By the time you see the mischief, via surface issues, it’s already totally buggered. Hence the reason a CF frame can take a whack, and seem perfectly okay, in reality it’s really not, and you’d need an ultrasound to see it. A metal alloy frame will show damage much more obviously ( bent and / or cracked, straight after a decent whack ).

Last edited:
I bought the Mk I Cannondale Synapse Carbon and hated it. ( mind you it was a few years ago 2006 ish?). The first frame they made outside of USA, yeah guess what, China!
Things have improved dramatically imo.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Or a Hope HB130/160 - I'll take anything (almost).

I was looking at that friday at cannock shop... My credit card shyte itself.. :laugh:

Levo-Lon

Guru
I love em..

IMG_20190908_081319.jpg

Last edited:

fossyant

Yes it does. That’s exactly how it works. By the time you see the mischief, via surface issues, it’s already totally buggered. Hence the reason a CF frame can take a whack, and seem perfectly okay, in reality it’s really not, and you’d need an ultrasound to see it. A metal alloy frame will show damage much more obviously ( bent and / or cracked, straight after a decent whack ).

I'll be expecting a few Dreamliners to land on my head then ! Sorry but you are talking rubbish about carbon going 'soft'.

Carbon fibre is strong and light. It has been used in lots of things. Some Sherpa vans had leaf springs made out of it .
It does have problems however! It can shatter on impact and can delaminate with age .

Top Bottom