Carbon + Nail Varnish

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimbut

Have a stone chip in BB area of Carbon bike. Heard somewhere these can be treated with a dab of clear nail lacquer. Any truth ?
PS Only paint chipped. No underlying CF damage.

keithyboy

Glassfibre or expoxy resin would be more durable I think. Either could be used to touch up in the same way as nail varnish.

Nail varnish is perfect and will work a treat on repairing small stone chips on the bike, as for durability of nail varnish, have you seen what womens nails are put through and still look good, our bikes have an easier life.

Glassfibre or epoxy resin would be harder wearing but neither are clear and so will stand out.

keithyboy

HeartAttack said:
Nail varnish is perfect and will work a treat on repairing small stone chips on the bike, as for durability of nail varnish, have you seen what womens nails are put through and still look good, our bikes have an easier life.

Glassfibre or epoxy resin would be harder wearing but neither are clear and so will stand out.

Good point on the nails.

Either type of resin are virtually clear when used as thinly as they would be here. I advocate the use of epoxy resin for most things to be honest, my house is held together with the stuff.

lukesdad

HeartAttack said:

+1

OP
OP
J

jimbut

Used the nail varnish and it does a very good job ... not perfect but very good indeed. The chip was in the base of the BB so perfection perhaps not necessary.
Ta for any comments. It was Rimmel Clear Professional by the way ... 4 quid at Sainsburys.

knonist

keithyboy said:
Good point on the nails.

Either type of resin are virtually clear when used as thinly as they would be here. I advocate the use of epoxy resin for most things to be honest, my house is held together with the stuff.
the solvent in nail vanish may degrade carbon fibre (actually the resin), plus it is only cosmetic repair, so really, not much of a point repairing it

OP
OP
J

jimbut

Stone chips to my way of thinking are cosmetic damage. The CF is untouched. The bike is not gonna fall apart from under me. The varnish did a good cosmetic "repair" on this sort of "damage".

Top Bottom