Carbon road bike frame with mudguard clearance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I am Spartacus

Über Member

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
When I was in Paul Hewitts a few months ago, he had the prototype of a carbon audax bike with mudguard clearances. I'm sure the production ones were going to be ready this winter. Give him a call. Tel: 01772 424773

GrasB

Veteran
I know the Brand-X carbon frame has the height for m'guards with 23C tyres, not sure about width however. There's a guy owns one of these in the Cambridge area & should know, however duno if he's on the CC or not.

RedBike

I bet with a LOT of patience, a few snips here and there and p-clips you could get sks guards onto most frames, or failing that you could fit the new crud guards?

OP
OP
M
RedBike said:
I bet with a LOT of patience, a few snips here and there and p-clips you could get sks guards onto most frames, or failing that you could fit the new crud guards?

This is an interesting idea (given the high price of audax/cyclo frames). Has anyone managed such a feat?

gavintc

Guru
A few of my friends are running the new crud guards on low clearance frames. To be honest, there appears to be a mixed reaction to them. A few have problems and report that the guard has broken, or that getting it set up to prevent rubbing was a challenge. Others quite like them.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I run crud guards, and the only issue i have is the fact that my road bike has a short wheel base, and when stopped my left foot can run against the wheel, which in turn has snapped off the extension on the front mud guard. apart from that. fantastic!

bumsteer

GrasB- If you’re talking about the the Brand–X 3k carbon frame which Chain Reaction are selling, this does not have mudguard clearance with 23c tyres. I’ve recently built one of these up with the new SRAM Force groupset. I tried fitting the new Crud road racer guards which I stupidly allowed myself to be talked into by the bikeshop know-it-all who assured me they would fit. Complete waste of money… (the mudguards that is, not the frame which is a corker!)

They’ve ended up on my Bianchi, but even then I had to discard the frontal extension on the rear mudguard and use a cable tie around the seatpost to pull the front end of the guard clear of the tyre.

Mudguards are ghastly impractical things and, unless you are worried about getting a soaked arse or being unsociable to your riding buddies, are best avoided imo.

Mudguards are ghastly impractical things and, unless you are worried about getting a soaked arse or being unsociable to your riding buddies, are best avoided imo.[/QUOTE]

Boll*cks! (IMO).

Top Bottom