Carbon road bike frame with mudguard clearance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
michaelrmgreen said:
This is an interesting idea (given the high price of audax/cyclo frames). Has anyone managed such a feat?
I did, a couple of years ago on my Basso. I've since changed that over to Crud Roadracers which I really like. The bodged SKS mudguards are now on a singlespeed bike which I keep in the midlands.

Here are a couple of photos of the bodged Basso which show how I did it:

no-mudguard-fender-clearance-1.jpg

no-mudguard-fender-clearance-2.jpg

I used P-clips to attach the mudguard stays to the frame and forks of the Basso. On the singlespeed bike I just used plastic cable ties to do it.

Just remember that you have to make damn sure that the front mudguard will not get jammed up in the forks if you run over a twig, Coca-Cola can, whatever. The SKS guards I used have breakaway clips on the front to protect against that kind of thing.

Domestique

Über Member
Dave Davenport said:

+1
I was in Pearsons at the weekend to pick up my Brompton when one of the audax bikes caught my eye. Very nice

gavintc

Guru
Personally, I hate mudguards. The bike handles differently, it is heavy and sluggish. But, I fitted them last week as the cold arse has become freezing arse. So, for the next 3 months, my commuter will have the dreaded guards. Roll on March.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
gavintc said:
Personally, I hate mudguards. The bike handles differently, it is heavy and sluggish. But, I fitted them last week as the cold arse has become freezing arse. So, for the next 3 months, my commuter will have the dreaded guards. Roll on March.
The Crud Roadracer guards are incredibly light (180 g, I think?). I certainly can't feel the extra weight of them but I used to notice the extra weight of my SKS guards when I had them fitted.

I don't expect to be riding quickly in the winter. Just feeling motivated to ride at all is what I was looking for and not getting cold, dirty water sprayed up my back is a big help in that respect!

Top Bottom