Carbon Wheel Dilemma - Prime V Merlin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
We've a 38mm set of the Prime ones and they're nice. Both sets are quite heavy, which if it's not an issue I'd go for the Merlin as you've the rotors already and center-lock rotors are a bit sparse at the moment.

One alternative at a bit more expensive, which we've bought, is NR-6 who make bespoke wheels: https://nr6cycles.co.uk/products/NR6PerformanceDiscBrake
They'll do you a bespoke decal (name/flag/etc.) for £20 extra. What's more 'bling' than having personalised wheels? :okay:
A disclaimer though for transparency - they sponsor my son's team. These are his for his track bike:

Langdale_NR6.JPG

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Another photo. I fitted them a couple of days ago:
View attachment 638466
Tastefully done mate.

lkbfreak

View attachment 638468

I've gone for the Merlin's though

I just bought a pair of Merlin CDR-2 Carbon clinchers and awaiting their delivery - how's CDR-1's been to you? Are they true and how do they ride? Did you had any problems with them? Merlin web pages doesn't say much about wheel details but they were a steel so I jumped and bought the upgraded version. Do they come with preinstalled rim tape or bare? Thx!

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
I just bought a pair of Merlin CDR-2 Carbon clinchers and awaiting their delivery - how's CDR-1's been to you? Are they true and how do they ride? Did you had any problems with them? Merlin web pages doesn't say much about wheel details but they were a steel so I jumped and bought the upgraded version. Do they come with preinstalled rim tape or bare? Thx!

They've been great. They look fantastic and are incredibly stiff. Yes mine came with tape and were ready to go.

Probably lighter wheels out there - but for the price you are paying hard to beat imo.

lkbfreak

They've been great. They look fantastic and are incredibly stiff. Yes mine came with tape and were ready to go.

Probably lighter wheels out there - but for the price you are paying hard to beat imo.

Great! I know they they are not tubeless but have you ever tried to convert them to tubeless? And what are the hubs like? Are they any brand or generic ones - just asking with servicing them in mind. Thank you!

Top Bottom