Carbon wheels - worth it? Or not.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’m running some MasonXHunt wheels at the moment. I bought them because my budget was spent when I built it my current bike. I originally wanted carbon ones but just couldn’t stretch to it at the time. I can now though after a bit of saving😀😀😀. However, the wheels have been just great, couldn’t be more pleased with them. I’m just wondering now whether there is much advantage in upgrading. If I do I’d probably get either Hunt 40/50, zipp 303s or some of those new 42mm Cadex. Are they likely to be an upgrade at all. I use the bike (bowman Pilgrims disc) for general riding and training so spend a bit of time cracking on as well as audax where of course I’m turning out less power for most of the day.

Personally I hate the sound of carbon wheels, sounds like a hub motor in tone and really jars on my ears.

Amazonian

Regular
Upgrade? Probably not, at least not in any meaningful sense. But let's be honest, we all like buying some bling for our bikes, even if we don't need it. So go for it if it's what you want, just maybe don't expect too much from them.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@Thegreatthor as you're in Yorkshire check Zed wheels and NR6 Cycles as well. Both do hand-built carbon which might be in your budget. Zed are based on Barnsley and NR6 in Teesside.

Son no 2 has a pair of Zed's disc wheels and he's sponsored by NR6 for clarity.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Depends TBH. I had carbon wheels way back when - £700 a set and that's over 20 years ago. They were almost solely TT use as they were tubs. Anything hilly or general riding was back to hand built wheels as they just cornered much better, weren't affected by strong wind the same etc etc.

Chislenko

Veteran
I replaced my Kysrium Equippe S alloy wheels with some all singing all dancing carbon wheels and they made not a jot of difference to my speed etc.

They look nice though and I didn't have to save for them as I had just had my pension lump sum.

If I had scrimped and saved to buy them I would be a bit underwhelmed!!.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
My carbon rims braking surface has not worn anything like as much as my ally rims. plus they are lighter. feel better. so all good.
Braking in the wet is a bit soft though.

Joffey

Big Dosser
I got some Zipp 302's about 3 years ago. Prior to that I had some 3T wheels and prior to that some HEDs (both aluminium). The Zipps have bee fantastic. I'm a heavy rider and they have stayed true throughout. They are lighter and appear to be faster than the other wheels I have owned.

If you want some then go for it - you won't be disappointed.

Top Bottom