Carbon Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I think the first question is what's the budget :smile:

mattobrien

Guru
Having gone from Alu wheels to carbon wheels and the same braking surface on each wheel, I haven't found a big difference between the two. It is October since I used that bike though.

I also doesn't use it in the wet, so can't comment on carbon breaking wet weather performance.

This is with SRAM red calipers and appropriate pads for each braking surface too.

Any finally I live in suffolk, so it's not like we have any proper descents to really test the brakes on over a long period...

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Best braking surface on a carbon wheel with a full carbon rim belongs without doubt to Zipp firecrest. They stop well and in a controlled manner even in the wet
If you have a smaller budget FFWD wheels are great performers and great quality. They stop very well.

If you want decent breaking performance on a carbon braking surface, ensure you have a good brake and a recommended pad compound.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Mr H knows his stuff. Lots of things to consider though, use, terrain all sorts.

Got some early edition HED Jets that I used for TTs as they were for tubular tyres. Great for TTs but I would not have been too keen on a stormy day in the Pennines with them. Zipps are about the most stable deep sections in windy conditions, but I'd doubt you'd use any in conditions like today.

Many 50mm carbon rims are quite heavy compared to shallow section ones.

What's your intended use ?

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
What's your intended use ?

:thumbsup: That is without doubt the very best answer you will get.

Deep carbon wheels are a compromise and not great to live with on a daily basis, I would almost suggest it is foolish for many having done it myself for many years. You would also be wrong in thinking they are faster in all situations.

Top Bottom