Cardboard bicycle can change the world, says Israeli inventor.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldspice

A bicycle made almost entirely of cardboard has the potential to change transportation habits from the world's most congested cities to the poorest reaches of Africa, its Israeli inventor says.

?m=02&d=20121015&t=2&i=663544261&w=460&fh=&fw=&ll=&pl=&r=CBRE89E0RFM00.jpg

Full story here
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/10/15/oukoe-uk-israel-cardboardbike-idUKBRE89E0DT20121015

I don't think it will.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I would have thought that a bike that lasts a year or more without maintenance, weighs 20 pounds and costs $20 is pretty revolutionary! Assuming it actually works properly, of course ... :thumbsup:

Pauluk

Oldspice said:
I don't think it will.

I must admit it seems a bit odd, but that's what a lot of people (including the initial responses from the patent office in the UK) thought about the clockwork radio that was invented a few years back by Trevor Baylis. They were wrong, very wrong.

Never underestimate the small inventor, they may surprise you.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Cardboard bicycle and British weather :rain: Can't see that working overe here

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
If they cost $20 then (when they are available at Tescos) let's get some and hold a CycleChat cardboard bike olympics. We can do a time trial, a road race a bit of downhill...

OP
OP
Oldspice

Oldspice

Condsirding there is the bike donation scheme and metal bikes hold up well under the terrain of the countries they are going to, plus metal is more serviceable and customisable to do a whole heap of jobs that a car or truck would do. I do not think that the cardboard bike will fare as well. Maybe if you had a good road, but on the whole no.

al78

Guru
Cardboard bicycle and British weather :rain: Can't see that working overe here

Well it provides a good excuse for not riding in the rain.

You can just imagine the next "I hate riding in the rain" thread in commuting:

"What's the problem with rain, your bike's waterproof, isn't it?"
"Well er actually no."

^_^

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well it provides a good excuse for not riding in the rain.

You can just imagine the next "I hate riding in the rain" thread in commuting:

"What's the problem with rain, your bike's waterproof, isn't it?"
"Well er actually no."

^_^
So, you missed this bit then?

The article said:
Once the shape has been formed and cut, the cardboard is treated with a secret concoction made of organic materials to give it its waterproof and fireproof qualities. In the final stage, it is coated with lacquer paint for appearance.

In testing the durability of the treated cardboard, Gafni said he immersed a cross-section in a water tank for several months and it retained all its hardened characteristics.]
:thumbsup:

Davidc

Guru
Asda will have a great time.

They'll sell them at £5 each with the forks on backwards, and with one of their cardboard cutout people sitting on the display one.

New line for IKEA with the flat-pack one.

That's the upmarket ones. Wait 'til you see the ones on sale at Poundland made from recycled boxes from the 99p shop!

Then there are the accessories - all in cardboard too. Lights (the lenses are a bit opaque though), mudguards (they should really test the durability in the wet when the bike's ridden in the monsoon), racks (anyone collecting a load of bricks?), and what sort of ding noise will the cardboard bell make? Then of course the helmet.

Good luck to the inventor. There's probably a niche for them, somewhere near the bamboo bike.

Another design student project. Yawn.

Actually the design might have some merit but its never going to sell at $20. Though its interesting to note that the designer has raised its selling price from the original $10 he was claiming a few weeks ago.

Globalti

Legendary Member
What a disaster! The solid tyres and unyielding frame will kill the rider especially on African roads. It can't be welded by the road side and it can't carry a passenger or a massive pile of goods so won't sell to poor Africans. Rich Africans don't want bikes, they want a nice big fat SUV imported from the USA with an auto box and AC. The tiny minority of Africans who are interested in cycling as a sport won't want a comedy prototype, they will want something tried and tested and low-tech, which can be repaired with easily available parts.

It really is the ultimate act of patronisation to assume that impoverished folk will be grateful for your benevolence.

Top Bottom