Cardenfreude

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
And then those people have a leather chair and heating from the second they finish work. We don't enjoy an all conquering upside.
Do a leather saddle and heat pads count? :laugh: I've also got a speaker for my sound system, although I mostly listen to music because you can't really listen to talk radio when there's bursts of engine noise going past.

It's quite fun when I roll along a kerb protected cycle track past a queue, but mostly the local cycle tracks are nicely away from the pollution belching motorists. It's hard for them to turn into you or door you when you're not on the carriageway (but not impossible, I know) which is a great reason for high quality protected cycle tracks along major roads. The only problem is when a cycle route makes a so-called "courtesy crossing" of a road with a queue, instead of a more expensive Zebra/tiger one, then it demonstrates how little courtesy most motorists have in a traffic jam and you have to barge through a bit.

Postmanhat

There's only really one place where I can regularly enjoy cardenfreude on my commute, but I pay for it at the end. A 400 yard stretch of cycle lane, which ends at a traffic-lighted roundabout. It's uphill there and I'm aware of having used up all my nobbers oblige*, so have to start off like a lead track sprinter when the lights change

* That period of time a stupid motorist will wait behind a cyclist, before attempting a dangerous maneuver.

D

Deleted member 1258

Cycling takes about 25-30 minutes, six and a half mile each way commute, driving takes about 15-20 minutes, I usually drive about once or twice a week, I usually drive on wet mornings, its not often I'm filtering slow traffic on the bike, its not often I'm sat in traffic in the car, in the place where it can happen theres an alternative route to avoid most of it, the only other thing is accidents, I came back to owning a car in 2012, since then I've had two long commutes due to tailbacks caused by accidents.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
It's quite difficult not to get cardenfreude in London but you tend to get a bit too smug. I got doored at an early stage going up the inside. The outside has attractions but the U and right turners, and the sudden overtakers are a risk. I ride ten feet out from a queue and slot back in when something approaches. The problem is that taking risks is actually very good fun.

Top Bottom