Cardiff to Swansea, by Moonlight: 14 June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Wobblers

Wobblers

Euthermic
Eight started. Only seven escaped the city.

Greg, Greg. It was splendid to see you - but for such a short time! In fact the last three times have been problematic: I remember you having to bail on the April 2013 Bognor ride thanks to a frozen IGH, you had saddle issues and almost bailed on the 2016 Hull ride and now here with a iffy front hub. We want to see more of you, and for a bit longer than that so for heaven's sake sort the bike out!

theclaud

Openly Marxist
View attachment 470806
My ride from Cardiff to Swansea :sad:
We were sorry to lose you from our little team, Greg. It's a long way to come just to see an especially dull stretch of the A48. Bailing there was the right decision, though - I don't think even the cleverest cable-tie botch was going to cut the mustard. Nice Ortliebs, BTW!

OP
OP
Wobblers

Wobblers

Euthermic
This is one that almost got away. I will confess that had I been doing this alone, after seeing the weather forecast on Friday morning I'd have taken the sensible option of abandoning the ride and opting to stay in my nice warm and dry bed instead. But it wasn't just me, so such a course of action would have been an act of crass faithlessness.

So, no. Though I had plenty of time to ponder just what I'd got us all into on the train to Cardiff, looking at flooded fields and seeing that every river was in full spate. The train delivered me to a sunny and dry Cardiff just before 7-30. More than enough time to recce at least part of the route and check for any flood hazards, not to mention ensuring that Garmin, GPX file and rider would function adequately. Besides, I wanted to see just how good those fantastic lanes between Convilston and Bridgend in daylight.

The answer: vastly exceeded expectations. It was some of the best cycling I've done. Even better, those dark clouds ahead of me stayed there (sorry TC!) I was a little disappointed to get to Bridgend, in time for an earlier train than planned. Which turned out to have far more bikes than expected. It was the inevitable comic coincidence that this very train should be carrying Team Claud.

We were lucky with the weather. Dry all the way to Bridgend - we even caught sight of the moon, as promised! There was only a little drizzle after the McDonalds halfway stop. It was only heavy on the climb before Neath - though it did make the descent into Neath a bit miserable. But it dried up somewhat. Given that every time I'd looked at the weather radar it was showing solid RAIN just ahead of us I think it's safe to say that @theclaud's weather wizardry hadn't quite deserted her.

The coast path round Swansea Bay was as much a delight as I remembered, even if there was a bit of wind assisted sand blasting for the first mile or so. Arriving in Ripples, I was astounded by the blackness of the sky behind us over Port Talbot, where we'd a couple of hours ago - another weather bullet dodged! Breakfast arrived in the form of bacon, sausage and egg on a pizza base - Dennis and co had excelled themselves. And beers for after, with relaxing conversation , well, that's what I could gather from the snores of two of our number who appeared to be very relaxed indeed. Eh, theclaud? Steve?

Alas, all too soon it was time to go - back to a rammed train which I almost wasn't able to get on. But, that apart, it was everything I'd hoped for, and more. I've always thought that this is a special ride. The small group served to made it even more so. Thanks to the seven intrepid souls who turned up braving the forecasts: it was you that made this so special.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Greg, Greg. It was splendid to see you - but for such a short time! In fact the last three times have been problematic: I remember you having to bail on the April 2013 Bognor ride thanks to a frozen IGH, you had saddle issues and almost bailed on the 2016 Hull ride and now here with a iffy front hub. We want to see more of you, and for a bit longer than that so for heaven's sake sort the bike out!
In defence of my spannering skills Hull 2016 was my 'arris I had problems with not my saddle. It was great to see you. ;)

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
We were sorry to lose you from our little team, Greg. It's a long way to come just to see an especially dull stretch of the A48. Bailing there was the right decision, though - I don't think even the cleverest cable-tie botch was going to cut the mustard. Nice Ortliebs, BTW!
Local bike shop in Honeyborough near Neyland supplied the fix for five English pounds. I shall never ride with blingy external cam QRs with discs again.
IMG_20190618_110227_695.jpg

Top Bottom