Careers vanquish rear hub keeps coming loose

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy clarke

hi all, I know not the most favourite bike in the world. just after some advice I've done sub 300 miles!!! on the above a 2014 model the rear hub keeps coming loose. I tighten the 2 nuts up as I gather you can't go mad or it squashs the bearings, but the dam thing keeps coming loose! I got the bike from work and I really enjoy riding it. But I'm getting really annoyed with it, it only takes 15 odd miles and it comes un done any tips please thanks!!

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
the outer nut is a lock nut - so adjust the nearest nut to take out the slack -but not too tight to stop the wheel turning freely. Now put a spanner on the inner nut and hold it completely still while with a 2nd spanner you tighten the outer nut (lock nut) until it is very tight against the inner nut. Correctly, you may need some thinner than normal spanners (cone spanners) to fit into the space.

gbb

Legendary Member
Good advice above but other issues can cause problems as well...
Damaged theads on the axle or in the nuts, they seem ok but can't lock correctly...or a bent axle.
Both are unlikely to be fair, but both are possibilities. Unfortunately, in both cases you really have to completely strip the assembly to find out for sure.
Try Mrandmrsspoves suggestion, if it keeps happening, you have to look deeper.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
If the cones have been adjusted correctly so that there is not excessive play, then A wobble would suggest that the axle may be bent. What do you see that you're describing as a wobble?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
If not sure then take it back to where you got it from if it was from a shop or take it to a shop.
Nowt wrong with a vanquish , i use on for commuting /winter riding that i built up from a 2010 ish frame and its cracking for the money it cost , errm nothing after i had sold other bits to fund it.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A wobble may also be the result of a broken axle.

Not quite as serious as it sounds in that the quick release will hold everything together, but the wheel will wobble a bit when all other adjustments appear correct.

If the bike is a free wheel seven speed, a broken axle is even more likely - they are known for it.

goody

Veteran
If not sure then take it back to where you got it from if it was from a shop or take it to a shop.
Nowt wrong with a vanquish , i use on for commuting /winter riding that i built up from a 2010 ish frame and its cracking for the money it cost , errm nothing after i had sold other bits to fund it.
I've got one, done some long rides on mine four years of commuting and I think the only original parts are the frame (no cracks!) bars and stem.

Top Bottom