Careful if you use the fallowfield Loop Manchester

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Gatley lass, 5 Jul 2016.

1. straas

straas Über Member

2. :hello::ph34r:

ColinJ likes this.
  3. ColinJ

ColinJ It's a puzzle ...

I wouldn't be scared if YOU jumped out at me. but teenage-girl bashing, knife-wielding thugs are a different matter!

potsy likes this.
  4. Siclo

Siclo Über Member

This is the bike
    cjgYN6dgIoVFPZGAKEHHC7KK4XqigSsRT-WE1PvFdKc-2048x1152.jpg

A Saracen Avro 2

5. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Yep ! Nice bike

6. fossyant

You get crap everywhere. I tend to carry a 'legal' pepper spray with me (it's actually semi permanent ink) if I'm out on the local paths and canals in the evening, as there is a group of lads regularly robbing bikes off kids/teens - and I'd rather not have them try and take a good few quid of MTB off me.

7. Jody

Jody Veteran

More of a case that they haven't come down and gone to bed yet.

classic33, Siclo and fossyant like this.
  8. fossyant

Previous 'trouble' has either been out of 'hours' or in the middle of the day - not around rush hour. The 'floop' is like the M1 at rush hour for bikes, walkers etc.

9. I like Skol

I like Skol Hold my beer and watch this....

Just seen this :eek:

Such a shame, but maybe just a reality of the surroundings and social situation of the area. This is still no excuse for the scumbags and doesn't make it right or acceptable! It is also a difficult problem to tackle. Increasing police presence is not likely to reduce the incidents as they will still act when the police are not there. The chances of the police catching someone 'in the act' is almost negligible, and when they walk or cycle along the path on patrol the would be muggers simply act normal and seemingly become one of the many, many locals that use the path to get from A-B. Difficult to tell the difference unless the suspect is known to the police and has previous.

I will continue to use the route occasionally, but suspect I am not a likely target as a fast moving, fugly, 6ft middle-aged male? Just last night I was with my BIL and his step son who showed me the Strava map of a ride they did in the morning (8th Jun) and guess were they had been? Yep, Fallowfield Loop, then out to the TPT via Chorlton Park and round via Trafford and back through central Manchester. Again, both are strapping 6ft+ males so relatively safe?

Makes you wonder about the viability or success of the proposed café/cycle hub venture mentioned recently - www.cyclechat.net/threads/fairfield-loop-cafe-development-at-old-levenshulme-station.234069

10. Mr. Cow

Mr. Cow Active Member

A small can of hair spray! One zap in the eyes will bring their party to an abrupt end. it stings immediately like hell and gives you opportunity to get away! the small cans fit nicely into a side pocket - quick access and there is no lid to take off it’s just pick up and spray! And all the macho guys can blame the girlfriend if anyone notices

fossyant and raleighnut like this.
  11. Tenacious Sloth

Tenacious Sloth Über Member

I know this is two years too late but...

Swede, Swede, Swede, Swede, SWEDE...

Drago likes this.
  12. Schneil

Schneil Über Member

I don't know if these are related crimes, but there's been a series of muggings/robberies recently in the Heaton Moor and Levenshulme areas. It's mainly been teenagers that have been targeted and they've had their bikes taken off them (sometimes at knife point).

13. Just been on the local BBC news, 10 robberies since September, been a cycling protest to highlight it...

Drago likes this.
  14. Drago

Drago Flouncing Nobber

That's akin to protesting against tooth decay or the sun coming up each morning.

15. straas

straas Über Member

Not really. It was a protest to highlight the need for police intervention, it shouldn't be seen as normal that 10 people have been mugged (some at knifepoint) on a small section of a cycle track.

potsy and raleighnut like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice