Careful if you use the fallowfield Loop Manchester

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
There are lots of quiet spots with nearby bushes for ne'er-do-wells to lurk in
:hello::ph34r:

Siclo

Veteran
Just another heads up.

Cyclist robbed of his bike at knifepoint around 7:15am 7th June 2018 whilst commuting.

This is the bike
cjgYN6dgIoVFPZGAKEHHC7KK4XqigSsRT-WE1PvFdKc-2048x1152.jpg

A Saracen Avro 2

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Crosses Fallowfield-Levenshulme off 'places to visit' list ... :whistle:

I use @nickyboy's Llandudno ride route out of Manchester on my Cheshire forum ride. It crosses Sale Water Park. It is a nice ride out through there in the morning in a group but last Saturday I rode back through the park with just my tiny friend Carrie as the sun was setting. It had a different feel then. There are lots of quiet spots with nearby bushes for ne'er-do-wells to lurk in. I was happy when we got out of there and back onto the road again!

PS I get the same feeling on the Padiham Greenway. It is always busy with dog walkers and parents taking their kids for a walk during the day but in the evening it is very quiet and there are lots of places for would-be assailants to emerge from.

You get crap everywhere. I tend to carry a 'legal' pepper spray with me (it's actually semi permanent ink) if I'm out on the local paths and canals in the evening, as there is a group of lads regularly robbing bikes off kids/teens - and I'd rather not have them try and take a good few quid of MTB off me.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Previous 'trouble' has either been out of 'hours' or in the middle of the day - not around rush hour. The 'floop' is like the M1 at rush hour for bikes, walkers etc.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just seen this :eek:

Such a shame, but maybe just a reality of the surroundings and social situation of the area. This is still no excuse for the scumbags and doesn't make it right or acceptable! It is also a difficult problem to tackle. Increasing police presence is not likely to reduce the incidents as they will still act when the police are not there. The chances of the police catching someone 'in the act' is almost negligible, and when they walk or cycle along the path on patrol the would be muggers simply act normal and seemingly become one of the many, many locals that use the path to get from A-B. Difficult to tell the difference unless the suspect is known to the police and has previous.

I will continue to use the route occasionally, but suspect I am not a likely target as a fast moving, fugly, 6ft middle-aged male? Just last night I was with my BIL and his step son who showed me the Strava map of a ride they did in the morning (8th Jun) and guess were they had been? Yep, Fallowfield Loop, then out to the TPT via Chorlton Park and round via Trafford and back through central Manchester. Again, both are strapping 6ft+ males so relatively safe?

Makes you wonder about the viability or success of the proposed café/cycle hub venture mentioned recently - www.cyclechat.net/threads/fairfield-loop-cafe-development-at-old-levenshulme-station.234069

Mr. Cow

Über Member
A small can of hair spray! One zap in the eyes will bring their party to an abrupt end. it stings immediately like hell and gives you opportunity to get away! the small cans fit nicely into a side pocket - quick access and there is no lid to take off it’s just pick up and spray! And all the macho guys can blame the girlfriend if anyone notices

One of the things I teach is defensive tactics for cyclists.

About 10 years back a certain park in town had a terrible problem with robberies at night, people being robbed of phones, iPod, wallets etc. In the end I went to the Inspector and said id go out at night, stagger round pretending to be drunk, waving a mobile phone about, see which scumbag took the bait. Lurking in the shadows would be large burly officers with nicknames like The Swede, Pit Bull, etc, so I was pretty happy id be on the winning team.

My idea was knocked back because of "health and safety", yet to this day they don't bat an eyelid sending unarmed officers to offenders with knives, one officer I know being stabbed just last night. Let coppers do the coppering, and those who never could copper in the first place should just be sacked, not promoted to Inspector or above. That way scumbags like this would be quickly caught and dealt with.

I know this is two years too late but...

Swede, Swede, Swede, Swede, SWEDE...

Schneil

Veteran
I don't know if these are related crimes, but there's been a series of muggings/robberies recently in the Heaton Moor and Levenshulme areas. It's mainly been teenagers that have been targeted and they've had their bikes taken off them (sometimes at knife point).

potsy

Rambler
I don't know if these are related crimes, but there's been a series of muggings/robberies recently in the Heaton Moor and Levenshulme areas. It's mainly been teenagers that have been targeted and they've had their bikes taken off them (sometimes at knife point).
Just been on the local BBC news, 10 robberies since September, been a cycling protest to highlight it...

straas

Matt
Not really. It was a protest to highlight the need for police intervention, it shouldn't be seen as normal that 10 people have been mugged (some at knifepoint) on a small section of a cycle track.

Top Bottom