Careful if you use the fallowfield Loop Manchester

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I wonder if GMP will have anything more constructive than http://www.bartitsu.org/index.php/2010/06/self-defence-for-bicyclists-1901/ ?

Drago

Legendary Member
One of the things I teach is defensive tactics for cyclists.

About 10 years back a certain park in town had a terrible problem with robberies at night, people being robbed of phones, iPod, wallets etc. In the end I went to the Inspector and said id go out at night, stagger round pretending to be drunk, waving a mobile phone about, see which scumbag took the bait. Lurking in the shadows would be large burly officers with nicknames like The Swede, Pit Bull, etc, so I was pretty happy id be on the winning team.

My idea was knocked back because of "health and safety", yet to this day they don't bat an eyelid sending unarmed officers to offenders with knives, one officer I know being stabbed just last night. Let coppers do the coppering, and those who never could copper in the first place should just be sacked, not promoted to Inspector or above. That way scumbags like this would be quickly caught and dealt with.

Joeletaxi

Regular
I wonder if GMP will have anything more constructive than http://www.bartitsu.org/index.php/2010/06/self-defence-for-bicyclists-1901/ ?
Its amazing that there were vulgar cads around even in those days. I wonder if the attacks on the loop were in a particular area or spread about? There were/are two prolific bike thieves in stockport who have been discussed on the pinkbikes forum but im not sure if they are inside at the moment and in any case, they are teenage louts ,not adult men.

madferret

Über Member
Just got back on the bike after a long break. Just logged on here to post about this having just read about it. I do the loop all the time in order to improve my fitness without having to worry about cars etc. Really gutted to read about this and will now have be really wary. Hope they catch them, was actually on there the same days as a couple of these incidents. I tend not to stop and avoid groups of youths etc but this seems like a violent and sudden attack. :angry:

united4ever

Über Member
Never done the loop. I use the bridgewater canal through trafford which is busy enough that it feels reasonably safe....is the loop so quiet that there would be nobody coming along every 30 seconds or so?

madferret

Über Member
Never done the loop. I use the bridgewater canal through trafford which is busy enough that it feels reasonably safe....is the loop so quiet that there would be nobody coming along every 30 seconds or so?

I wouldn't say it was quiet, but there can be times when you don't see anyone for quite a few minutes. I have stopped and been on the phone (before the recent incidents) for 5 mins and nobody has passed.

I read that there has been a Police presence back on there recently. EDIT - Apparently not - http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...owfield-loop-cyclists-attacks-police-11595217 I know the stretch of canal you mean and its a little more open than the loop, which has a few hidden bends and bushes etc on both sides in places. I used it on Sunday and it was really busy with bikes, joggers and dog walkers and felt safe enough. It's a great way to get across Town and would be a shame if people become too wary to use it.

Last edited:

straas

Matt
7.15am?! Didn't know the scrotes were up that early!!

Saw 3 teens hanging round the athol rd entrance the other week - by the sounds of it they later mugged a bike off a woman under threat of using a metal bar.

I heard someone on the levenshulme side was mugged at knifepoint at around 11pm earlier this week.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Saw post on the Manchester Social Cyclists page and it's also on Stolen bikes web page. Thing is it's pretty isolated on there. I used to go a fair old lick down there and didn't see any trouble at rush hour.

Apparently it was a guy on his own with a knife !

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Crosses Fallowfield-Levenshulme off 'places to visit' list ... :whistle:

I use @nickyboy's Llandudno ride route out of Manchester on my Cheshire forum ride. It crosses Sale Water Park. It is a nice ride out through there in the morning in a group but last Saturday I rode back through the park with just my tiny friend Carrie as the sun was setting. It had a different feel then. There are lots of quiet spots with nearby bushes for ne'er-do-wells to lurk in. I was happy when we got out of there and back onto the road again!

PS I get the same feeling on the Padiham Greenway. It is always busy with dog walkers and parents taking their kids for a walk during the day but in the evening it is very quiet and there are lots of places for would-be assailants to emerge from.

Top Bottom