Careful if you use the fallowfield Loop Manchester

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Will the protest reverse almost 9 years of policing budget cuts? No it won't. It serves only to let some people blow off a bit of steam.

If you want to protest, at least address the protest to the people that could do something about it. In this case they reside at 11 Downing Street.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Will the protest reverse almost 9 years of policing budget cuts? No it won't. It serves only to let some people blow off a bit of steam.

If you want to protest, at least address the protest to the people that could do something about it. In this case they reside at 11 Downing Street.
It's worth going along to the police commissioner's annual budget consultations and giving them what-for. Many of them are party placements and the message will get passed on - plus the police commissioner could in theory raise council tax by more to undo some of the cuts, but they have to hold a referendum to approve it and the only one I remember (Bedfordshire) didn't succeed and then the police have to pay the cost of the referendum too!

Although in Greater Manchester, its mayor (Andy Burnham) has the police commissioner's powers, so I guess that's who to target. If he's on-side then push on and he might help take the protest to the Chancellor. If he's not then you've a local target as well as a national one.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's becoming quite regular on the Floop. Those travel hair spray's sound quite good too.

The problem is, being an old rail line, there are access points about every half mile/mile and if 'in-between' you have no escape from anyone. I used to keep an eye out when I used it. I believe some have been around rush hour, so the thieves are taking chances.

straas

Matt

So if you have a problem with anything, you must only protest in London? Very defeatist attitude.

As it happens the police have agreed to commit some resource to the issue following the protest - so, good news!

Drago

Legendary Member
No, if I have a problem with something and if I ever felt like demonstrating I would aim it at those with the power to solve the problem for good. Sensible attitude.

That is good news about the local dibble. Now ask yourself who is being deprived of policing cover to free up that resource. Unless the problem is addressed properly it won t solve the problem, it'll merely displace it elsewhere in the town, and will quickly return when the resource is withdrawn. Alas, the police don't have the personnel for joined up problem solving any more - your broken bone will get a band aid, so while I'm a little bit encouraged I wouldn't start high fiving anyone yet.

The dodgy area where the muggings have been going on appears to be the cycle path that links the Ashton Canal towpath to the Fallowfield loop,this is a densely wooded path with lots of twists and turns, I've noticed a lot of gangs smoking weed under the bridges on my way home from work in recent weeks,never had any hassle from them but they would seem to be likely suspects, especially as the guy who had his bike stolen recently found his bike for sale in Openshaw(Which is right slap bang in the middle of that cycle path)The floop on the other hand is a wide open cycle path and I've never encountered anything untoward on there,but I do peel off before the delights of Levenshulme! Don't think I'll be using any of floop of other paths when the clocks go back mind, I'll take my chances on the A6 instead.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The Bristol-Bath railway path, the jewel in Sustrans' jerry-built crown, has similar problems. Muggings, air rifle shootings, thrown bottles and collisions. Sometimes roads are safer; they're more public and at least most users stick to the rules.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The Bristol-Bath railway path, the jewel in Sustrans' jerry-built crown, has similar problems. Muggings, air rifle shootings, thrown bottles and collisions. Sometimes roads are safer; they're more public and at least most users stick to the rules.
Because no cyclist has ever been mugged, had anything thrown at them or suffered a collision on a carriageway? :crazy:

This is a security and enforcement problem, not a carriagways versus cycleways one.

Chen

The dodgy area where the muggings have been going on appears to be the cycle path that links the Ashton Canal towpath to the Fallowfield loop.

Where did you read that, out of interest. I cycle the Fallowfield loop everyday, usually in the dark at this time of year so reports like this concern me, but I can't find any info as to where or when the crimes were committed, just that there was a protest due to them.

There was a video shown on ITV with the guy that was mugged,showing him cycling under Ashton Old road,this is on the link from the Rochdale canal to the Fallowfield loop,his bike was later found having been sold in Openshaw,which is in the immediate vicinity,I have seen gangs of teenagers here,never on the loop,now the nights have drawn in the only people I see are the odd dog walker and cyclists, it's probably safer now in the dark than it is in the summer when they're all out drinking and smoking illicit substances......

straas

Matt
I've noticed a couple of large branches that appear to have been placed on the path in the last few weeks.

A woman in front of me hit one last night close to st werberghs tram stop - lost her light but stayed upright. Lots of kids use this bit so I'm assuming it's their bit of fun.

This bit of the floop was always fine before, but the tram stop seems to attract bad behaviour - should the tram company not have a duty to police it a bit better as it's their infrastructure causing an issue?

al78

Guru
I've noticed a couple of large branches that appear to have been placed on the path in the last few weeks.

A woman in front of me hit one last night close to st werberghs tram stop - lost her light but stayed upright. Lots of kids use this bit so I'm assuming it's their bit of fun.

This bit of the floop was always fine before, but the tram stop seems to attract bad behaviour - should the tram company not have a duty to police it a bit better as it's their infrastructure causing an issue?

No, it is not the fault of Metrolink that Manchester has a significant population of scum hell bent on attacking and robbing people, any more than it would be your fault if people got robbed outside your house. Are you certain the bad behaviour can be attributed to the tram stop? Can you be sure the bad behaviour wouldn't exist if the tram stop had never been built? Just because B follows A does not mean A caused B.

straas

Matt
No, it is not the fault of Metrolink that Manchester has a significant population of scum hell bent on attacking and robbing people, any more than it would be your fault if people got robbed outside your house. Are you certain the bad behaviour can be attributed to the tram stop? Can you be sure the bad behaviour wouldn't exist if the tram stop had never been built? Just because B follows A does not mean A caused B.

I couldn't say 100% but it's given them a focal point, they use the access ramp to stand on and throw bits of track ballast at people and houses, and hang around on the platform harassing people.

Unfortunately was waved off the floop this morning before Sherwood street, due to a police accident - reports indicating that a woman was attacked at 4.50am.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I couldn't say 100% but it's given them a focal point, they use the access ramp to stand on and throw bits of track ballast at people and houses, and hang around on the platform harassing people.

Unfortunately was waved off the floop this morning before Sherwood street, due to a police accident - reports indicating that a woman was attacked at 4.50am.
:ohmy:

Top Bottom