Careful if you use the fallowfield Loop Manchester

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

straas

Matt
Reports that a man was assaulted by 7 between yew tree road and princess road last night at 18.20.

Fractured elbow, cuts and bruises and no bike.

Can someone point me at a clear map of the fallowfield loop so that I can easily check if my planned trip across manchester actually uses it?

Thanks for the reply bazzer.

Breaths sigh of relief - don't think I'll be hitting that - will be going Altrincham way to Sale then up the Bridgewater canal to Media City on an overnighter Crewe to Lancashire.

Not sure what time I'll hit the Bridgewater - will cycle a parallel route to it onroad if worried about time of day -must admit surprised by time of attack above - have always worked on the principle that late at night early morning up to about 3am may be risky but that after that (ie early) the neer do wells will be zonked drugged out leaving healthy (if mad) cyclist me to breeze along canals and the like at 3.30am.

Last edited:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I can't help you with the Bridgewater canal, having never ridden it. - Parallel many times through Worsley and walked sections of it about three years ago which were rideable, but that was on an off the tow path.
Perhaps @Katherine of this parish might have some advice.

Katherine

Guru
I have no idea about riding on the Bridgewater Canal at night.
Fine in the daytime though.
The geese might be a problem along the bank as they are protecting their nests and soon their goslings.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Not sure what time I'll hit the Bridgewater - will cycle a parallel route to it onroad if worried about time of day -must admit surprised by time of attack above - have always worked on the principle that late at night early morning up to about 3am may be risky but that after that (ie early) the neer do wells will be zonked drugged out leaving healthy (if mad) cyclist me to breeze along canals and the like at 3.30am.
Bridgewater might be okay, but I certainly wouldn't want to be out and about in Fallowfield after reading THIS! (Includes mention of violent attacks at 03:30 and 04:10.)

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have ridden bits of the Bridgewater out of Manchester several times and once continued as far as Broadheath before transferring to the TPT for a few miles. Can't remember any parts being particularly intimidating and think I would be happy using it at any time of day or night, but then I am big and UGLY....
As for the Fallowfield loop path, again never felt threatened but have only used it in the daytime. Would probably avoid it at night and stick to the roads instead, just to be sure.

clf

I regularly use the bridgewater canal, never had any problems, I think there were reports a while ago that someone was pushed off their bike into the canal in old trafford, but I had my suspicions that may have been self inflicted. Geese can get a bit grumpy though, especially around breeding time.

I regularly use the bridgewater canal, never had any problems, I think there were reports a while ago that someone was pushed off their bike into the canal in old trafford, but I had my suspicions that may have been self inflicted. Geese can get a bit grumpy though, especially around breeding time.
You reckon the bridgewater is pretty safe even "after hours"?

It is a nice route.

clf

I think so, I don't tend to use it during the day or rush hour, It's just too busy and full of #stravawankers, I tend to use it in the winter after dark.
I do find it a little uncomfortable physically though, it was resurfaced a few years ago and is a bit "lumpy" gives me pins and needles in the hands after a few miles.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Another attack at rush hour. Male hit with branch, kicked in head, broken elbow. Robbed of bike, phone, keys, cash cards.

This is weekly now

Top Bottom