Careful with that outside filtering too.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Pretty embarrassed about this one: I hit a pedestrian while doing it this week. Slow-moving, temporarily stopped traffic queue and a driver waves her across (so she said afterwards anyway). Walked out directly in front of me and I hit her without having time to squeeze the brakes or anything. Don't know how quick I was going, not fast, but too fast for filtering in retrospect.

There's a traffic island right at that point, so pedestrians often cross there- there's shops, a car park, a bus stop there so always a few about. Normally I see their heads over the tops of the traffic and I'm ready for 'em. Not this time, I wasn't aware she was there at all. Can't remember whether I was looking at something else further up the road or not. There's a junction a bit further on.

Chest is a bit sore, I sort of fell onto the bike, bit of road rash on the elbow.

As for the woman I hit- I think she was OK (she got up pretty quickly and said she was OK anyway).

I ruined her lunch, her sandwiches ended up lodged in my front wheel.

Ooo, glad it was nothing too serious. It's good to hear that you are man enough to admit that you were in the wrong.

It does constantly amaze me the number of peds who will walk through a line of stationary traffic then step out to cross the other half of the road, without looking for cycles or motorbikes filtering!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Oooh, unlucky mate. Glad it's not serious and you're both OK.

Commenting from the other topic, yes, overtaking does help you to see and avoid the oncoming right-turning moton, but doesn't eliminate the right turning one from a junction to your left, or pedestrians, or a right turning one going in the same direction as you are. I still think it's usually safer though.

Tynan

Veteran
pedestrians fault, end of

driver can have some blame too if they want

no such slow enough for them peds that step out into a lane in the road that they have no idea what's coming, I almost collected three school children on the scooter this week, they stepped out from behind a stopped bus into the centre of the road without a care in the world, I was going plenty slow but there was zero time to react, the first one jumped forward out of the way and the other two stopped short as I went through them, not nice at all

peds wandering around in the road deserve it, the usual drill for crossing a road seem to vanish when it's stationary traffic

Tynan said:

driver can have some blame too if they want

<snip>

peds wandering around in the road deserve it, the usual drill for crossing a road seem to vanish when it's stationary traffic

Have to disagree with you here Tynan. Its bl**dy annoying, and it is rude and irresponsible of the peds, but it is vehicular traffic that is obliged to give way to pedestrians, not the other way round.

Still, ferking annoying!

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Pedestrians often cross there and I could've anticipated it and I could've slowed approaching the island. I wish I had done, then it wouldn't hurt when I laugh.

PrettyboyTim

Tynan said:

Surely if you're overtaking a stationary vehicle it is your responsibility to ensure there's nothing you're going to collide with on the other side?

Palinurus: I hope your chest feels better soon!

bonj2

Tynan said:

WOW :rolleyes: - you've said something sensible. You can't possibly be bimblywimbly. I'm sorry for accusing you of being, it's now (fairly) clear to me that you're probably not.

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
Have to disagree with you here Tynan. Its bl**dy annoying, and it is rude and irresponsible of the peds, but it is vehicular traffic that is obliged to give way to pedestrians, not the other way round.

Still, ferking annoying!

Rule 8 (170 for cars) only? Otherwise all sections of 7 are pretty clear.

ChrisW

I've learnt to shout very VERY loudly in those circumstances..which is nearly every day commuting in London.

Makes them jump but avoids any nastiness.

And a courteous "thanks" and a smile when they stop.

No one hurt, everyone happy :rolleyes:

Tynan

Veteran
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:

Still, ferking annoying!

with respect that's bollocks in anything other than the letter of the law, they so can't wander around in the road with no care or attention to what might happen, what are the crossings and the red and green men for if they really are allowed to do as they please

bonj2

Tynan said:
with respect that's bollocks in anything other than the letter of the law, they so can't wander around in the road with no care or attention to what might happen, what are the crossings and the red and green men for if they really are allowed to do as they please

B) :rolleyes:
we should go for a drink sometime! :rolleyes: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Top Bottom