Careless Mechanics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
As of last month I have a new e-bike, a Lapierre e-Crosshill, which is great fun.

There's one minor issue which has meant I haven't yet ridden it anything like as much as I hope to. When delivered, the seller (Electric Bike Shop, Gloucester) was keen to sell me a tubeless conversion, which I declined since if I were to go down that route I'd prefer to gain the expertise myself. Obviously to be self-sufficient on the road I need to be able to deal with a puncture, but when I tried to remove the front tyre I found I couldn't shift it, something I'd never experienced before. So until I could find out what was going on I've restricted myself to riding at times when I've known I could be rescued if necessary.

This morning I took the bike in for advice. The guy was able to shift the tyre but then couldn't get it to sit back properly, blaming the poor quality rim tape they get shipped with. So I was right to be concerned, and effectively had been sold a bike on which it would have been impossible to deal with a roadside flat.

They immediately offered to replace the tape with tubeless-specific stuff, which they assure me is perfectly compatible with tubes and which shouldn't have the problem of snagging when trying to re-sit a tyre. All done in about 20 minutes, and I was able to return home.

When putting the bike back I noticed a couple of small dents in the (aluminium) seat tube which I would not have failed to spot had they been there before. I haven't yet produced a successful photograph. Also there is a series of marks in the paint on one side of the rear wheel rim, all lining up precisely with a spoke. Hmmm. Clearly there is nothing I can prove, but looking for a possible culprit for the dents, a workshop stand is the overwhelming favourite.

I'm unsure what, if anything I should do. The rim damage is cosmetic and it will not doubt get much worse. Still, for a shop mechanic to be so careless is not impressive. With the frame, I'm a bit more concerned. I can only imagine that when secured in the stand the frame must have been subjected to a large twisting force, so it might not be safe to assume that the integrity of the frame hasn't been compromised.

How do y'all think I should proceed?

presta

Guru
I've seen numerous references advising that rim tape should cover the bead seats and not sit between them, but none of mine ever has, and I've had no problems with it. Covering the bead seat seems a recipe for difficulty getting the tyre on.

keithmac

Guru
Every bicycle and tubed motorcycle I've worked on the rim tape covers the centre 3rd of the rim, nothing on the bead seat areas.

You can buy "Slime for tubes" I've just used it this morning and it's held up all day (puncture fairy hit for first time in 8+ years!).

Slime is a good mid point and a unless you run over something really bad it should get you home.

As of last month I have a new e-bike, a Lapierre e-Crosshill, which is great fun.

There's one minor issue which has meant I haven't yet ridden it anything like as much as I hope to. When delivered, the seller (Electric Bike Shop, Gloucester) was keen to sell me a tubeless conversion, which I declined since if I were to go down that route I'd prefer to gain the expertise myself. Obviously to be self-sufficient on the road I need to be able to deal with a puncture, but when I tried to remove the front tyre I found I couldn't shift it, something I'd never experienced before. So until I could find out what was going on I've restricted myself to riding at times when I've known I could be rescued if necessary.

This morning I took the bike in for advice. The guy was able to shift the tyre but then couldn't get it to sit back properly, blaming the poor quality rim tape they get shipped with. So I was right to be concerned, and effectively had been sold a bike on which it would have been impossible to deal with a roadside flat.

They immediately offered to replace the tape with tubeless-specific stuff, which they assure me is perfectly compatible with tubes and which shouldn't have the problem of snagging when trying to re-sit a tyre. All done in about 20 minutes, and I was able to return home.

When putting the bike back I noticed a couple of small dents in the (aluminium) seat tube which I would not have failed to spot had they been there before. I haven't yet produced a successful photograph. Also there is a series of marks in the paint on one side of the rear wheel rim, all lining up precisely with a spoke. Hmmm. Clearly there is nothing I can prove, but looking for a possible culprit for the dents, a workshop stand is the overwhelming favourite.

I'm unsure what, if anything I should do. The rim damage is cosmetic and it will not doubt get much worse. Still, for a shop mechanic to be so careless is not impressive. With the frame, I'm a bit more concerned. I can only imagine that when secured in the stand the frame must have been subjected to a large twisting force, so it might not be safe to assume that the integrity of the frame hasn't been compromised.

How do y'all think I should proceed?

I had a hire car once overnight. Came out the next day to discover some low life had taken off the door mirror trim. I'd driven the car like 200 miles so I knew that the cover had been there.
Then I looked on the paperwork and it hadn't been there when I collected it originally.

Unless you'd photographed every inch of the bike you don't know it's not happened at home or somewhere else and I can't see how some marks on the seat post indicates that your frame is weakened.

boydj

Legendary Member
I had the exact same problem and it necessitated a call-out to the good lady - the first in a life-time of cycling. The only way I could get the tyre to shift was to trap the tyre in a vice and twist it. The thick, high-friction rim tape was to blame, and quickly replaced.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
If this LBS was proper, I would be surprised if they clamped the actual seat tube in the stand clamp. Standard practice to clamp it onto the seat post. Unless it's a carbon one, then there are other ways and means.

For the rim damage, just one of those things, by your own admission it was a struggle, so a bit of damage is likely to happen.
For the frame, if you want to go back do so, but be prepared to lose the argument. Myself, I would apply the rule of tenths* and get on and ride.

*Old wartime rule of thumb, applied to steel equipment, if the damage was less than 10th the diameter deep, 10th circumference round, or 10th the length of the tube the item was still serviceable.

OP
OP
Aravis

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Thanks for the replies - six is a good number so that I don't feel swamped. They're exactly the sort of thing I can profitably mull over, and I've cooled down a bit now! :reading:

In response in @cougie uk, if I were giving evidence I would say that I was certain the dents in the seat tube weren't there before I returned from the shop. The distortion of reflected light is what drew my attention and it's inconceivable that I wouldn't have seen it before.

The most pertinent issue is that next week I'm booked for the post-purchase general check-over, and clearly it's in my long-term interests to remain on good terms in case I should ever need support on substantive issues. I hope I can find a way of expressing my concerns without appearing to suggest they're bad people. I do believe that one of the mechanics on duty may have been brought in that morning to cover a staff shortage, and if they did have someone who was being a bit heavy-handed they probably ought to know about it.

Wish me luck!

The most pertinent issue is that next week I'm booked for the post-purchase general check-over,
Take lots of photos . Check the bike over thoroughly before leaving the shop.

Top Bottom