Bike mechanics say the darndest things...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
My gravel bike was in for a service this week and I collected it today. Now, my gravel bike has a hard life- it gets ridden in all weathers, serves as my winter commuter, does a bit of bikepacking, toddler towing, gravel/mud/singletrack/fields/should probably be on a hardtail riding. It's no secret it's been a bit wet this year, and I've ridden through my fair share of floods in the past few months. I always do a bit of routine maintenance- new chain when needed, bottom bracket replacement, brake pads, cassettes, etc, so while my gravel bike has a hard life, it's not completely neglected. So anyway, I picked up my bike today, and besides some new bearings in the bottom bracket (it was only a few months old, but well, floods), and a sealant top up in my rear tyre, everything else was just a bit of adjustment. So nothing major. But what my mechanic said to me on collection still has me cracking up-
His exact words to me were "You definitely have not been blowing kisses at this bike".
So what words of wisdom have your mechanics said to you?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You evil person. You are suposed to do that ! I'm the mechanic.

Slick

Guru
There were no words of wisdom from one mechanic I went to, but I had a couple for him.

I'm much like the OP, my bike is for using and enjoying and whilst I will do some simple maintenance, life is far too short to be spent in a garage wrestling with an internal cable.

After one repair this guy noted that my winter commuter may have looked clean, but when you delve a bit deeper you could see it had been ridden all winter.

No 5hit sherlock, htf did you ever manage to work that one out. Also, if it hadn't of taken a beaten over a hard winter commute, take a stab in the dark as to whether I'd be bringing it to you for your "gold" service. :wacko:

OP
OP
rivers

rivers

How far can I go?
Surprised you sub out the "service" considering you seem capable of doing all that's required yourself.

I do all my own work, so abuse from "my mechanic" is merciless and unending..

Time and inclination- I have neither. My wife heads out to work as soon as I get home, so I take over the childcare duties. Weekends is family time and occasionally I get to go out for a ride with my friends. I don't really want to spend a couple of hours faffing about with my bikes. Quick things, fine. Full service, changing cables, etc- nah, i'll pay someone to do it.

mustang1

Legendary Member
I don't think bikes used in the way the OP does is considered to be "abusing the bike". That's just how bikes should be used and if they are maintained, then all is well.

Most people (not on cc I presume) use their bikes far less but don't service them for 10 years at a time. I would call that abusing the bike.

Tom B

Guru
Time and inclination- I have neither. My wife heads out to work as soon as I get home, so I take over the childcare duties. Weekends is family time and occasionally I get to go out for a ride with my friends. I don't really want to spend a couple of hours faffing about with my bikes. Quick things, fine. Full service, changing cables, etc- nah, i'll pay someone to do it.

That's Luxury - I haven't event got time to take it to the bike shop! (and that's even with getting up before I go to bed)
I've managed to change 2 cables, and clean a bearing on 1st borns bike in a month!

Anyway -

"I think you need a new bike" (still riding it years later)
"lezyne stuff is well engineered"
"have you still got all your teeth" (after arriving at the LBS covered in blood having fallen off my new bike and landing on my face

OP
OP
rivers

rivers

How far can I go?
That's Luxury - I haven't event got time to take it to the bike shop! (and that's even with getting up before I go to bed)
I've managed to change 2 cables, and clean a bearing on 1st borns bike in a month!

Luckily, I have enough time to drop off and collect on my lunch break at work

T4tomo

Legendary Member
"what the fark is that"

To be fair, that wasn't the mechanic/ wheel builder, it was his teenage apprentice, and I had just showed him a Maillard Heli-comatic hub and asked him if he'd seen one before. I think he thought I twisted the splines on a shimano hub or summat. :okay:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
When I picked up my bike from Spa the guy said to me:

"I've left the steerer long and put a couple of spacers on top ..." (meaningful pause) "... for when your back goes."

(12 years on and the stem is now as high as it will go. I've used up all the slack he provided)

Fair play if the man knows his onions - sounds like he did you right :smile:

Top Bottom