One bike to rule them all? The modern Rando thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Like many I suspect, I've swung between various bikes / formats; successive choices iteratatively tempered by experience to make the next bike hopefully more appropriate than the last as I slowly figure out what I value in a bicycle.

So far my ideal seems to sit somewhere around the gravel / touring / utility area; although nothing off the peg really seems to scratch that itch completely.

As little time as I have for the yanks it seems they've been quietly filling this glorious little niche for a while; with a number of offerings from boutique brands seemingly ticking all of the boxes.

As usual there's always waggle-room on spec, however it seems these bikes typically don't stray too far from the following format:

- Traditionally-styled steel frame with horizontal top tube
- Proper lugged, curved steel forks
- Discs
- 650b wheels with fat tyres (typically 40-50mm)
- Wide-range drivetrain with sensible gearing - either a triple or sub-compact double that mere-mortals can actually make use of
- Sub-"cutting edge" drivetrain standard - such as 8 or 9sp
- Bar-end or downtube shifters
- Less-mainstream component choice to suit the above using smaller brands such as Microshift
- Many attachment points for guards and load-carrying such as front and rear racks, bags etc

Examples of such bikes include the Crust Romanceur:
FP_2179.jpg

... and the Soma Grand Randonneur:

soma-grand-randonneur-26014_18.jpg

The two companies above offer a wide range of steel frames on similar themes and they all look fanastic.

There are a few champions of this format of bike, a few I occasionally dip into being path less pedeled (youtube channel) and Ronnie Romance of UltraRomance fame.

What I love about this niche and the mindset of two guys above is that it unashamedly, unapologietically embraces what works - be this "old tech" such as bar-end shifter and 8sp, or genuinely beneficial newer developments such as disk brakes and through-axles.. with the cynical marketing-driven tripe greeted with the dismissal it rightfully deserves.

I find it increasingly frustrating to have my choices dictated by fashion-driven constructs of marketing dickheads, and it's refreshing to see a little enclave of resistance to this commercially-driven whitewash that ultimately does few of us any favours.

I think for me these bikes represent the pinnacle of what can be achieved for the "average" rider - capable, versatile, fun, resiliant and authentic. It saddens me that there's seemingly nothing on offer of a similar vein this side of the pond, but I find encouragement in the fact that such bikes exist at all and hope that my "journey" continues to bring me closer to this ideal :smile:

I'm sold - what does everyone else reckon?

Last edited:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I think they’re called Audax bikes and there are plenty of purveyors of these. Some custom, others mainstream.

Venod

Eh up
I'm sold - what does everyone else reckon?

I think you should look at Spa Cycles, they may not have something built to your exact spec, but you can get them to build it your way, or buy a frame and build it yourself, the Elan is just one of their frames that springs to mind. (sloping top tube though)

Punkawallah

Über Member
I don’t need to worry about this sort of thing, as I already have a Dawes Galaxy :-)
Although two stone in weight, it is functionally bomb-proof and will happily carry me + kit the 200 or so miles around the N Yorks National Park. The best part about it is the price. £90 second hand, £150 on the road, £300 to get it as I want it (Brooks, Suntour VX, 14-32, World Tour fat tyres). Spa Elan is a nice bike, but three times the price (?).

Those California boutique brands are really nice, and predate or at least were contemporaneous, with the craft beer movement.
They were responsible for the trend for 650B, which was nicked by the MTB industry. They also favoured narrow radius drop bars and swept back " North Road" flats.
I used to get the Rivendell catalogue as a present every year. Full of old fashioned fine Japanese components, Belgium hand made tyres, English leather saddles and homespun philosophy.
The concept of a 650B doitall tourer in 3x8 with disk brakes is hard to beat.

All uphill

Still rolling along
A decent folder is the bike to rule them all.

Thinking a bit more about this it seems to me that the first step is to drop all assumptions and work out your cycling needs.

I can see a good folder, like yours @Drago , can do lots of things well. My 1994 steel Marin Stinson does just about everything I want.

20240101_101729.jpg

I have form for buying shiny,fast bikes that aren't comfortable or practical and then never using them, because they are not comfortable or practical.

Top Bottom