One day, bikes might be cheaper than cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

quilkin

Going to Portugal for a couple of weeks cycling. Bike hire cost : 280 euros.
After booking the flight, Ryanair offered me car hire (as per usual) - cheapest car 44 euros . Yes, 44 euros for 2 weeks.
I know that :
- car hire firms hope to sell add-ons like insurance, and
- bikes probably don't last as long as cars
but surely the prices souldn't be quite so inverted?

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Bet your flights are ridiculously cheap too, for the energy consumed and environmental impact..

44 Euros for two weeks of car hire is absolutely insane tbh!

Going to Portugal for a couple of weeks cycling. Bike hire cost : 280 euros.
After booking the flight, Ryanair offered me car hire (as per usual) - cheapest car 44 euros . Yes, 44 euros for 2 weeks.
I know that :
- car hire firms hope to sell add-ons like insurance, and
- bikes probably don't last as long as cars
but surely the prices souldn't be quite so inverted?

It's not just abroad. For a UK holiday we decided it's cheaper in the long run to buy a new bike, and a new bike carrier, than try to rent bikes for a week.

I suspect this is simply that whilst car hire is a competitive and in demand service, bike hire is not and thats why prices are inverted so.

Sixmile

Veteran
How much is it to take a bike on a Ryanair flight? Is it even an option? I'd say it'd be more than £44. I think easyjet is £45 each way from memory.

It's not just abroad. For a UK holiday we decided it's cheaper in the long run to buy a new bike, and a new bike carrier, than try to rent bikes for a week.

I suspect this is simply that whilst car hire is a competitive and in demand service, bike hire is not and thats why prices are inverted so.
Yes. And air travel doubly so - hence prices for the same 600 mile trip can be £4 or £400.

To really save money, you might look at ordering a bike from a bike shop in the town you are flying to (ideally one that also buys 2nd-hand bikes ... )

Yes. And air travel doubly so - hence prices for the same 600 mile trip can be £4 or £400.

To really save money, you might look at ordering a bike from a bike shop in the town you are flying to (ideally one that also buys 2nd-hand bikes ... )

To fly there for our trip it would start and finish at the same airport lol Though if I was going abroad and wanted to cycle I'd buy a folder and have it transported as luggage.

Alex321

Veteran

Well I just checked a few places in Mallorca, which has a very strong cycling culture, with multiple competing bike hire prices, and the cheapest I could find any decent road bike was about the same as the OP here. Most were a fair bit more.

Top Bottom