One bike to rule them all? The modern Rando thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I think we are all different.

For me there is no one bike fits everything. I like my Brompton as it is easy to get 2 of them in the car or on a train or ferry. I can carry plenty of gear on it. But my Koga World Traveller takes far more kit and has a much better gear range for going up mountains. But my Koga is not as quick as my Giant Fathom and my E bike is such good fun and you have to have a winter mtb.

Maybe my Ridley New Adventure bike with Redshift Stem and Seatpost and Tailfin rack and bag, will be the go to bike. I will find out when I collect it in July. 🙂

figbat

Slippery scientist
I guess it depends what your range of “everything” is. I ride road, gravel and trails. I know I could make any type of bike do all of these things but for safety and fun there’s no way I’m tackling a trail centre red route on an audax or randonneur (or a folder).

My self-built gravel bike is probably the nearest to a “do most things acceptably” bike, being a steel frame with drops, 40mm tyres on 700cc discs and 1x10. It’s my winter road bike and all-year gravel/light trail bike. It has tackled everything near me that I usually use a hardtail for but I come home feeling it more.

Besides, that would make the ‘rule’ N=1.

All uphill

Still rolling along
My self-built gravel bike is probably the nearest to a “do most things acceptably” bike, being a steel frame with drops, 40mm tyres on 700cc discs and 1x10. It’s my winter road bike and all-year gravel/light trail bike. It has tackled everything near me that I usually use a hardtail for but I come home feeling it more.
Sounds great! Any pictures, please?

Sallar55

Veteran
People should have had a look at the french,650b wheels were the choice of tourists .Bags and racks off for when not touring as years ago only the rich had bikes for different disciplines. A bike for all purposes is equivalent to jack of all trades master of none.

1000021746.png

Last edited:

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I think they’re called Audax bikes and there are plenty of purveyors of these. Some custom, others mainstream.
We're right do to splitting the minutest of hairs now, but I'd argue a distinction in that Audax bikes are designed to cover distance fast, so compared to what I'm looking at lack the utility argument, while probably having more aggressive geometry and skinnier tyres, as a rule.

One bike to rule them all. Sorry does not compute. Five minimum.
Indeed, however there's always the ideal, the mean point between them all that would be where you landed if you could only have one. I love all mine but if I had to boil it down to one, the subject of this thread is where I'd like to find myself :smile:

I like these bikes, but why no flat bars? Maybe it goes against the whole aesthetic, but it'll be a lot more practical.

View: https://flic.kr/p/2n3wb4W

Flat bars have their uses, however drops are arguably more versatile and are more in-keeping with these bikes IMO. That said they're not exclusive and there are plenty of examples without drops - moustache, back-swept etc.. most the classic aesthetic nicely while retaining some practical benefits.

Fairlight make some lovely bikes but of a far more modern bent..

I think you should look at Spa Cycles, they may not have something built to your exact spec, but you can get them to build it your way, or buy a frame and build it yourself, the Elan is just one of their frames that springs to mind. (sloping top tube though)
Thanks - I know they do a lot of decent tourers, but then these aren't really those.. spec-wise they're probably nearly there but lack the pseudo-vintage aesthetic tartyness..

I don’t need to worry about this sort of thing, as I already have a Dawes Galaxy :-)
Although two stone in weight, it is functionally bomb-proof and will happily carry me + kit the 200 or so miles around the N Yorks National Park. The best part about it is the price. £90 second hand, £150 on the road, £300 to get it as I want it (Brooks, Suntour VX, 14-32, World Tour fat tyres). Spa Elan is a nice bike, but three times the price (?).
Close but no cigar IMO; probably about as close as you'd get in an off-the-peg alternative this side of the water though and undoubtely nice bikes :smile:

Those California boutique brands are really nice, and predate or at least were contemporaneous, with the craft beer movement.
They were responsible for the trend for 650B, which was nicked by the MTB industry. They also favoured narrow radius drop bars and swept back " North Road" flats.
I used to get the Rivendell catalogue as a present every year. Full of old fashioned fine Japanese components, Belgium hand made tyres, English leather saddles and homespun philosophy.
The concept of a 650B doitall tourer in 3x8 with disk brakes is hard to beat.
Yes- thankyou; that description "California boutique" nails it far better than I managed to convey in the OP. Those bikes sound lovely and yes, I forgot a massive player in this market in Rivendell.

As much as it pains me to say it, it seems these bikes are basically "California hipsters hijacked mid-century French randonneurs" as @Sallar55 mentions below..

That said I generally like most other things associated with hipsters apart from, well.. hipsters :rolleyes:

I'm 100% in agreement @wafter

Rivendell are my source of inspiration for attractive, functional bikes. I've even signed up to their weekly email.

https://www.rivbike.com/

I can't match their paint jobs, but I do enjoy simple, strong bar end shifters, Acera dérailleurs, wider tyres and comfort.
Yes - as above Rivendell basically epitomise this market and I'd completely forgotten about them. It's probably also worth mentioning Surley and maybe (the now defunkt?) All City, even if they're both a bit more peripheral to the "genre"..

A decent folder is the bike to rule them all.
Useful certainly, however IMO its special skill detracts from its purity as a bicycle..

I think we are all different.

For me there is no one bike fits everything. I like my Brompton as it is easy to get 2 of them in the car or on a train or ferry. I can carry plenty of gear on it. But my Koga World Traveller takes far more kit and has a much better gear range for going up mountains. But my Koga is not as quick as my Giant Fathom and my E bike is such good fun and you have to have a winter mtb.

Maybe my Ridley New Adventure bike with Redshift Stem and Seatpost and Tailfin rack and bag, will be the go to bike. I will find out when I collect it in July. 🙂
Indeed, however as above, if I could only have one I think it'd be something like the subject of this thread ;)

I guess it depends what your range of “everything” is. I ride road, gravel and trails. I know I could make any type of bike do all of these things but for safety and fun there’s no way I’m tackling a trail centre red route on an audax or randonneur (or a folder).

Besides, that would make the ‘rule’ N=1.
Love the DIY build; functionally I guess it's not a million miles away from any decent gravel bike, a tourer or the stuff in the OP (if a lot less tarty and pretentious!).

I love the purity of only having one, but of course it's both a compromised and (for most of us) unlikely solution :tongue:

People should have had a look at the french,650b wheels were the choice of tourists .Bags and racks off for when not touring as years ago only the rich had bikes for different disciplines. A bike for all purposes is equivalent to jack of all trades master of none.

View attachment 719056
Thanks - nail on the head IMO. As above I think the bikes in this thread are essentially moden takes on the French randonneurs.. as usual there's nowt new under the sun!

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I'd like to add to the list of prerequisites:

- A predominence of shiny bits too - with polished ally and chrome being the choice for drivetrain and finishing kit; unlike the prevalence of black that's default on most modern offerings..
- A proper 1" quill stem
- External cabling

:smile:

- A proper 1" quill stem

Seriously, what is it with the random stem sizes? I have to have over half a dozen boxes for saddle stems at work, and that's before we get into the tiny variations of 27,4 and 27,8 mm; every scrap stem has to be measured and labelled, then sorted. When a bike comes in without a stem I know it'll take a good ten minutes to find one that fits, if I'm lucky.

I understand you may want something with more strength for a MTB but what's wrong with 24.5mm and 30mm as standard sizes?

Okay, rant over. As you were...

Last edited:
Top Bottom