Carerra Subway 2 - Changing handlebars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martaaay

Hey Im quite new to the scene and am researching how to alter my Subway 2 to go touring next year. After some reading Ive decided I want to see if its possible to change handle bars to something like a butterfly handle setup (see attached photo) while maintaining the current brake positions. The reason for this is I want to have more options to rest my arms/back etc, while maximising handle bar space once I attach a handle bar bag, GPs etc.

I would be grateful if anyone could point me in the direction of wat I might need to buy for this and/or anything advice relating to this. Obviously the main thing I want to pay attention to as well is ensuring I don't upset the balance of the bike by buying/fitting the wrong thing.

Bike - https://www.halfords.com/bikes/hybr...ke-2020---black---s-m-l-xl-frames-346198.html

Desired handle bar -

Attachments

• 0ce82f65c9e80165949a131174700322.jpg
    0ce82f65c9e80165949a131174700322.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 34

RichardB

Slightly retro
Handlebars are a very personal thing. You'll have to try them to see if they suit you. I have many sets of bars in my shed which didn't quite make the grade.

As long as you get the right size of bars it should be a straight swap. Look for the 'clamp diameter' of the bars - where they pass through the stem - as this is the critical dimension. From memory, I think it's 26mm on your bike, but I could be wrong. Easy to check. The brake levers should swap straight over if you keep them on the horizontal part of the bars. Essentially, you undo the plate on the front of the stem (4x Allen bolts) and fit the new bars. Transfer brake levers and anything else you have on there, fit some grips/tape/whatever, and you're good to go.

Before you get into all this, a question - does your current bike have bar ends?

Ski slope bar ends can give a fair few different hand positions - on my tourers - a custom built thingy and a self-build I spend pretty much all my cruising time with my hands on these.

DRM

Guru
Also don't forget when replacing handlebars make sure that when refitting the front plate of the stem you need to keep an even gap all round, make sure that you get all four bolts started in their threads ,then tighten each a little in an X pattern, i.e top left, bottom right, top right bottom left, tighten up in small increments to keep an even gap, be careful not to do up too tight as the stem is aluminium and the threads can easily strip if tightened too much.

simongt

Guru
As I'm getting old, I opted for butterfly bars on my commuter. After two years and having summertime fun with the commute on my 'sports bike' with drop bars, I realised that the butterfly bars aren't for me. I couldn't find a continuously comfortable position and was constantly having to shift my hands around. So reconverted to drop bars and haven't had a problem since. As RichardB said, handlebars are a personal thing, but the only way to find out if butterfly bars will suit is to try then for an extended period. And that could be pricy if you can't get on with them and have to go for something else. Also fitting a mirror on butterfly bars is not easy as wherever you want to put it will be where you also want to rest your hands at various times - !

Must say that tho i am usually big on function I do find them ugly.
Also have the idea that they aren't as generous with barspace to attach things to as some might believe/have you believe - a certain lack of straight bar sections.

I switched my straight bars to swept back On One Mary. The change in angle unwound the tension in my arms. Still prefer drops for touring but even with drops there are huge differences in style.

RichardB

Slightly retro
As I'm getting old, I opted for butterfly bars on my commuter.

I didn't like to say this, but the only butterfly bars I see belong to the bikes of the 'active elderly' hereabouts - grey-haired couples pedalling cautiously along covered in flashing lights and hi-viz. I find the bars ugly and suspect that they don't give the variety of positions you would expect. Never ridden a bike with them on, though. My road bikes have drop bars and my MTB has straight bars with bar ends, and these give me quite enough variety.

carvelos

Hopefully existing cable run length will be sufficient, I'm thinking of getting them on one of my bikes as well

Tight Git

Veteran
Much like @simongt I tried them on my Boardman hybrid and after a while took them off as I prefer the ergo bar ends that I had fitted on the original bars.

Top Bottom