Carerra Vanquish

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Wasn't there someone on the forum who owned one of these?

I've the chance to pick up an unused '06 model - Tiagra shifters & front mech, with 105 rear mech and cassette (9 spd) brakes are Tektro, wheels a brand I'd not heard of. I'd be coming to it from a late '80s ten speed, so I'm sure it'll be streets ahead of that, but should I be worried that the Vanquish will hold me back if I start doing larger mileage? Anything in particular that would make it a bad buy at £400 ish?

I'm hoping to get a test ride next week, so should get some impressions then, but any input/experiences appreciated.

Careful now, you can buy a new one for £439.

papercorn2000

One of the guys at work got one through the Bike2Work scheme. He raves about it mind you he come to that from a heavy BSO "MTB". It seems to be quite good for the money but not as good as the 2004/5(?) model which had a nice frame and was 105 equipped.

kyuss

Veteran
I had a Carerra MTB a few years back and I liked it, but I think £400 is a bit steep. You could get a brand new Giant SCR for that kind of money which will have a much much better frame which would be better for longer distances. Shop around and you can even pick up last years model for about £320.

OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I'm tempted by the SCRs, but the equipment on a £400 ish model will be Sora level - I ride my current bike on the drops a lot, and the idea of the "paddle" style shifter on the brake lever seems to make more sense to me than the button system of Sora. I do wonder whether I'm being blinded by the 105/Tiagra componentry, and should be thinking frame/fork more than I am...

Mickle - thanks for the tip, I didn't know the '07 had come down in price so much, although saying that, it seems to be Tiagra throughout, rather than the 105/Tiagra mix of the '06 model. It's weird that Carerra seem to have downgraded their componentry year on year :/

Thanks for that Papercorn - I've been googling a bit, and people that have them do seem quite fond of them.

kyuss

Veteran
I understand what you're saying about Sora shifters. The little thumb button has never appealed to me either. However cyclestore.co.uk have last years SCR 2.0 for £375 with full Tiagra. I'm sure there will be other retailers offering similar discounts.

I think you'd see more of performance benefit from the better frame of the Giant over the better rear gear of the Carerra. I doubt there is a huge leap in performance between Tiagra and 105 especially if it's just the rear mech. It's a part that can be upgraded at a later date anyway, for a lot less money than a new frame. Saying that, I have Tiagra on my commuting bike and it's performed faultlessly for the past 5 years so I've no intention of upgrading just yet.

Essentially though, you have to get the bike that's best suited to you. You can drape a frame in Dura Ace but it will still be crap if you're not happy with the way it fits and rides. Best bet is to ride a few if you can.

Top Bottom