Carerra Vanquish

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Wasn't there someone on the forum who owned one of these?

I've the chance to pick up an unused '06 model - Tiagra shifters & front mech, with 105 rear mech and cassette (9 spd) brakes are Tektro, wheels a brand I'd not heard of. I'd be coming to it from a late '80s ten speed, so I'm sure it'll be streets ahead of that, but should I be worried that the Vanquish will hold me back if I start doing larger mileage? Anything in particular that would make it a bad buy at £400 ish?

I'm hoping to get a test ride next week, so should get some impressions then, but any input/experiences appreciated.

Careful now, you can buy a new one for £439.

papercorn2000

One of the guys at work got one through the Bike2Work scheme. He raves about it mind you he come to that from a heavy BSO "MTB". It seems to be quite good for the money but not as good as the 2004/5(?) model which had a nice frame and was 105 equipped.

kyuss

Veteran
I had a Carerra MTB a few years back and I liked it, but I think £400 is a bit steep. You could get a brand new Giant SCR for that kind of money which will have a much much better frame which would be better for longer distances. Shop around and you can even pick up last years model for about £320.

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I'm tempted by the SCRs, but the equipment on a £400 ish model will be Sora level - I ride my current bike on the drops a lot, and the idea of the "paddle" style shifter on the brake lever seems to make more sense to me than the button system of Sora. I do wonder whether I'm being blinded by the 105/Tiagra componentry, and should be thinking frame/fork more than I am...

Mickle - thanks for the tip, I didn't know the '07 had come down in price so much, although saying that, it seems to be Tiagra throughout, rather than the 105/Tiagra mix of the '06 model. It's weird that Carerra seem to have downgraded their componentry year on year :/

Thanks for that Papercorn - I've been googling a bit, and people that have them do seem quite fond of them.

kyuss

Veteran
I understand what you're saying about Sora shifters. The little thumb button has never appealed to me either. However cyclestore.co.uk have last years SCR 2.0 for £375 with full Tiagra. I'm sure there will be other retailers offering similar discounts.

I think you'd see more of performance benefit from the better frame of the Giant over the better rear gear of the Carerra. I doubt there is a huge leap in performance between Tiagra and 105 especially if it's just the rear mech. It's a part that can be upgraded at a later date anyway, for a lot less money than a new frame. Saying that, I have Tiagra on my commuting bike and it's performed faultlessly for the past 5 years so I've no intention of upgrading just yet.

Essentially though, you have to get the bike that's best suited to you. You can drape a frame in Dura Ace but it will still be crap if you're not happy with the way it fits and rides. Best bet is to ride a few if you can.

Top Bottom