Carerra Zelos Road Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pedalton

Regular
Hi all,

I have found a used Carrera Zelos which is hardly used. I have sat on the bike at it seems to be the right size for me according to the size guide. Here is review of the bike.

Carrera Zelos Road Bike Review | Best Road Bikes Reviews

I have some mixed opinions and experiences of this bike from the net. A few things I come across is that the tyres are basic and that it has only a 7 speed casette.

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate your help.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Hi all,

I have found a used Carrera Zelos which is hardly used. I have sat on the bike at it seems to be the right size for me according to the size guide. Here is review of the bike.

Carrera Zelos Road Bike Review | Best Road Bikes Reviews

I have some mixed opinions and experiences of this bike from the net. A few things I come across is that the tyres are basic and that it has only a 7 speed casette.

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate your help.

@pedalton will the seller let you take it for a spin ?

from what i can see they make a great starter bike , if i have any advice before you start doing to many miles get your local bike shop to give it a once over with some fresh grease on all the places that need it and adjustments where required .

7 speed should be able to upgrade to 8 without replacing wheels but will need new shifters but why worry 7 is enough

OP
OP
P

pedalton

Regular
Thanks all,

My thought on the 7 speed was that I would be limited on wheels if I needed to replace them.

Asking price is £150.

Thanks.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
@pedalton will the seller let you take it for a spin ?

from what i can see they make a great starter bike , if i have any advice before you start doing to many miles get your local bike shop to give it a once over with some fresh grease on all the places that need it and adjustments where required .

7 speed should be able to upgrade to 8 without replacing wheels but will need new shifters but why worry 7 is enough
I think they use a 7 speed freewheel rather than a cassette,58 seconds

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Thanks all,

My thought on the 7 speed was that I would be limited on wheels if I needed to replace them.

Asking price is £150.

Thanks.
depending on condition and age thats not bad price ?

I think they use a 7 speed freewheel rather than a cassette,58 seconds

still easy enough to swap for 8 speed

@pedalton where are you based ?

only asking as i always have a couple of retro road bikes for sale

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
depending on condition and age thats not bad price ?

still easy enough to swap for 8 speed

@pedalton where are you based ?

only asking as i always have a couple of retro road bikes for sale
Indeed, they might need to change the back wheel as well as the shifters /rear mech (?) is all i was referring to if changing from 7 to 8 speed as its another cost to factor in .I know you can get 8 speed freewheels .
Would your retro bikes have more than the gears the OP is after though ?, i know they would probably have a nicer frame but would it be more of a side step than an upgrade?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@cyberknight i have one running 8 x 2 set up with the older screw on rear block and down tube shifters and another 1 in build that will also be 8 x 2 but with sti's and later style freehub and then the next build should be an 8 x 3 build with either downtube shfters or sti's depending on customer requirements

fatjel

Veteran
I've used one this year.. Has as you say a 7 speed freewheel so changing wheels could get complicated and expensive
That said I've done 5000 miles + since june with no problems at all..
Interestingly the tyres it came with never had a puncture... even when the rubber was worn thru
the schwalbe things I replaced the with tho had loads

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
My friend has one - a good starter bike - he has done a couple of sportives with no problems & regularly uses it for commuting & fitness rides.

I wouldn't bother upgrading much ( I think he has with tyres & pedals to clipless)

wait till you get the bug & a 2nd (then 3rd) bike :smile: ....

Top Bottom