Cargo Bike Trailer - Recommendations Asked For

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just done half my weekly shop and decided I would like to get a cargo trailer, a limit of 25kg on the panniers isn't enough.

Things I'm looking for
  • Cheaper the better as I'm skint!
  • Axel mount
  • 2 wheeled
  • 50kg carry capacity
  • Mostly for shopping but once I have it I'm sure I'll use it for allsorts
I've found a few and would welcome opinions and any you recommend. 3 I've found:
The Burley is my favourite, I know it's not covered but I've read some very good reviews of it.

albion

Guru
That red black one is the smaller of the main two from Homcom. A slight problem with it is that loads can move the cloth towards the wheels thus sometimes necessitating an inner container.
They tend to be on offer, the white one going at £68 if you can wait. Xmas 2021, I think, one of the two was on offer for £57.

They do vary. I like the Homcom for its sheer size, though it does rattle when empty. Homcom do seem extremely conservative in its load capacity, maybe to keep passengers off.

Edit --ignore my sizing comment. The white topped one container size is 70cm x 57cm.

Last edited:
OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
That red black one is the smaller of the main two from Homcom. A slight problem with it is that loads can move the cloth towards the wheels thus sometimes necessitating an inner container.
They tend to be on offer, the white one going at £68 if you can wait. Xmas 2021, I think, one of the two was on offer for £57.

They do vary. I like the Homcom for its sheer size, though it does rattle when empty. Homcom do seem extremely conservative in its load capacity, maybe to keep passengers off.

Edit --ignore my sizing comment. The white topped one container size is 70cm x 57cm.

I'll do a price history search on it, see how often it drops. I did read a review that the cloth can rub if not fitted right.

I've seen that one advertised, a review said its heavy? How do you find the (unladen) weight?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Not familiar with any of those but I had a steel framed and canvas covered one called a Columbus which was used to take large parcels to the post office.
It was good for that but I also took it touring. Problem there was given the amount of space available it was too tempting to carry too much stuff.
Beware, size can lead to overloading.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I'll do a price history search on it, see how often it drops. I did read a review that the cloth can rub if not fitted right.

I've seen that one advertised, a review said its heavy? How do you find the (unladen) weight?

It's not heavy, it's quite light but it is made of steel, I have used it now for two year carrying shopping it will take four large bags of shopping.
What I have done I bought a small hippo bag to fit inside the trailer so I could cover my food on the way home.
OK down side the hubs are steel and started to rust after 18 months and I keep in in the garage and has never been wet, but with a quick clean up and some black paint job sorted, other than that it does a find job.
Bag
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40445795...9CSkb6i0SINzSZ1r28FRWzqw==|tkp:Bk9SR9yuxovPYg

Last edited:
OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
Cheers all for advice, slight delay on ordering due to holiday.

Ordered this one, no cover but I'll be DIYing some sides and mostly using boxes to carry things anyway. Lowest price for a good while according to Keepa.

HOMCOM Bike Trailer Cargo in Steel Frame, Extra Bicycle Storage Carrier with Hitch (Black)

Looking forward to swearing a lot when I keep banging it into things!

Sixmile

Veteran
I was going to recommend to look at dog trailers too. I got a Burley Tailwagon 2nd hand for £150 and it was a great regular trailer too. Sold it for £325 when I was done with it. I've a regular CarryFreedom large which i got new for £100 and is a great job.

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
I was going to recommend to look at dog trailers too. I got a Burley Tailwagon 2nd hand for £150 and it was a great regular trailer too. Sold it for £325 when I was done with it. I've a regular CarryFreedom large which i got new for £100 and is a great job.

Burleys I really liked but couldn't afford, if the trailer life works out I'd condsider saving for one.

I have a double childrens trailer, very strong very cheap, new they are between 100£ and 150£ i think, but facebook marketplace is always full of them and then you pick them up for around 10-25£

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
I have a double childrens trailer, very strong very cheap, new they are between 100£ and 150£ i think, but facebook marketplace is always full of them and then you pick them up for around 10-25£

I've got one now thanks, used it once so far and making some changes to it to help with carrying, visibility, etc If I use it a lot over the next year or so I'll consider buying a more upmarket one like that Burley I like as mines definately at the budget end of the market.

I looked online at second hand but nothing local was available.

Top Bottom