Cargo/bungee net for attatching standard backpack to rack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hopey

My wife bought me a lovely, good quality backpack a few months back that I use for work, leisure and everything in between. Has all the compartments I need and is a lovely bit of kit.

I'm looking to get myself a pannier rack sometime soon - I strongly dislike cycling with a backpack on, especially to work. Because we're currently pinching pennies, I don't want to splash out on a pannier just yet - I'd rather wait until there is a real need, especially when my wife got me this lovely big backpack especially for work kinda recently.

I've been looking at options for attaching the backpack to a rear rack - research suggests that a cargo/bungee net may be the best thing for the job. Can get one for as cheap as £6 and I've seen folks say they've lasted years. Any thoughts here on the matter? Good idea, bad idea?

Last edited:
Google "motorcycle luggage net" or "Cargo net" and you will find all sorts of solutions

This is typical:

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcStj2HWzx7d6xLchdwyYN1qJ8RP_CUjGIwJGy79Ox7ekUMpadUD&usqp=CAE.jpg

The problem with elastic is that it can stretch and a severe bounce can dislodge your load. If you are not carrying squashables, I would suggest a 1"nylon web strap. Inner tube also has just enough give but not toomuch and i have used it to secure tents and sleepig bags.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Permanent triple bungees (they fix to the axle or rack mounts) are about the same price and much easier to use. Cargo nets always want to come unhooked somewhere in my experience and dangling hooks catch on stuff like spokes too easily.

Unless your backpack has no dangling straps, shove it in a carrier bag to stop the straps falling into the wheels. Also adds water resistance.

snorri

Legendary Member
Can get one for as cheap as £6 and I've seen folks say they've lasted years. Any thoughts here on the matter? Good idea, bad idea?
A couple of metres of light line will hold the back pack secure on your pannier rack. There are plenty of instructions online for tying a bowline and a round turn with two half hitches, if you don't know these knots already:smile:.

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
I haven't got any experience securing stuff to a rack (other than the panniers themselves) but when you do get round to purchasing a rack and bags have a look on Amazon. I got an Ibera rack and a Roswheel pannier set (set of pannier bags and detachable top bag) for under £50 and they've done the job. The rack was about £20 but it appears to be a lot heavier duty than the cheaper Tortec racks etc.

GOAB

GlenBen

Über Member
I use rok straps. Theyre half elastic and half not. Hold things really well and can attach to just about anything.

Id also advise getting a drybag or something to put it in to keep it clean and stop anything dangling into your wheels. Theyre only a couple of pounds.

I use rok straps. Theyre half elastic and half not. Hold things really well and can attach to just about anything.

Id also advise getting a drybag or something to put it in to keep it clean and stop anything dangling into your wheels. Theyre only a couple of pounds.
oo - just googled rok straps - impressed - thanks - from someone who is always struggling with bungees and worried about taking an eye out

Reactions: mjr
do you find that you need to check the tension on them a few times on a day's touring ride? For bungees, despite their perils (part of me is still surprised that they are legal!) are very self adjusting to any compression that may occur in the luggage - well they definitely are with the devilish tension I subject them to!

Top Bottom