Carleton Giro B.B.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Having just got the above off, I have found that the drive side is a reverse thread, is this correct and if so what are the options to upgrade to a modern B.B. or isn't there.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
The threading will most likely be English, i.e. 24 or 26 tpi. I managed to fit a sealed Campag unit of my Carlton Flyer restoration a few years a go.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
The threading will most likely be English, i.e. 24 or 26 tip. I managed to fit a sealed Campag unit of my Carlton Flyer restoration a few years a go.
I have an old B.B. I just took off my Viking, and the drive side shell will screw into the Carleton on both sides, but the fixed side of the B.B. (which is the left) seems to have the opposite thread left thread instead of a right one, if you get my drift.

OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
With out stripping the Viking down (not really wanting to do that) what I am saying is that the thread on a modern bike on the drive side, is the same as the thread on the left on the Carleton (and right) as the same shell fits both, but if I put a modern B.B. in it seems to be the opposite thread, is that right

OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
Nigel I have edited my post have a look at the Carleton site link, may be of interest.
Thanks I will go see, defo English thread both cups are marked 1.37x24T

Venod

Eh up
Nigel

The drive side is usually the fixed cup and if British is a left hand thread, the adjustable cup ( left side of bike if sat on saddle is usually aright hand thread) I have re read your post above, I may have misunderstood, are you saying the Carlton has left hand threads on both sides ? if so this is very unusual.

http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ft-hand-thread-bottom-bracket-both-sides.html

A cartridge would screw in to the drive side, this one in the link comes with steel cups, so if your thread on the left side is a left hand thread it won't fit, some come with plastic cups that you might force in the wrong way but not an ideal solution., on sealed bottom brackets the loose cup ( left hand side) is just used as a location cup and does not adjust anything.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_158268_langId_-1_categoryId_210159

The threadless bottom bracket is a good solution but its also the most expensive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
Nigel

The drive side is usually the fixed cup and if British is a left hand thread, the adjustable cup ( left side of bike if sat on saddle is usually aright hand thread) I have re read your post above, I may have misunderstood, are you saying the Carlton has left hand threads on both sides ? if so this is very unusual.
It seems to be, the drive side shell from the old sealed B.B. (the old one from the Viking) fits both sides on the Carlton, where as the none drive side of the sealed B.B. wont go in as the thread is wrong. I read that Raleigh used their own thread for a long time whilst most others had adopted the now standard size, its a shame I had to brae the shell off, its still usable just got a big gouge in it, I can get shorter spindles which is an option.

I might just shelve the project for the time been and try and get a cheap 2nd bike, nowt I cant usually fix so condition not too important apart from frame, and do what I have with the Viking over time, I aquired a really cheap M.T.B. (cheap when new that is) sort out the brakes on it, but I dont like them, so I dont think thats going any further either,.
It was all going quite while with the Carlton too, modern wheels fit without too much hassle, folks and stays need to be bent permanently but they fit, it has a hanger that I can fit a new rear mech to, an old Sora I have would work, as I was looking at a 11-25 range 7sp cassette, with a touring chainset I have either 26 or28-38-48 this would give me much the same range I have on the Viking, and in the mean time still waiting on the new front spoke for my RS10 wheel.

Top Bottom