Carlton Bike Letter S stamped under serial no.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

8mph

Veteran
I've tried and failed to get a clear photo. The serial number is pretty faint as the frame has been resprayed. I'm also unsure about the first 0, which could be either a 3 or an 8.

Under the serial number there is stamped a single letter S.

I've researched into this but couldn't find anything.

Any ideas folks?

Landsurfer

Veteran
The welders / frame builders code.
Talking to Dave Marsh, who worked at the Carlton factory in Carlton-in-lindrick as a frame builder he mentioned the stamp on the BB that allows him to identify the frames he built.

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
The welders / frame builders code.
Talking to Dave Marsh, who worked at the Carlton factory in Carlton-in-lindrick as a frame builder he mentioned the stamp on the BB that allows him to identify the frames he built.
@Landsurfer Thanks, that's a great help. I still don't know what I'm riding. I was told when I bought the bike that it was made in 81 but the serial number seems to indicate 77, according to my current understanding. Frankly I have a hard time distinguishing between the models.

I'll upload some photos tomorrow after the bikes been cleaned, in the hope that there's someone on the forum who might know.

midlife

Guru
The 1at position three in the number is 1981, the teardrop lug cutouts ring a bell, is there 3 holes or 2 in the headtube.

carpenter

Über Member
Not sure that the forks look original - just the lug design looks oLder on the forks than on the fame? (may just be talking rollocks here 🙂).

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
Not sure that the forks look original - just the lug design looks oLder on the forks than on the fame? (may just be talking rollocks here 🙂).
15759189819841876289899.jpg
the lugs have a nice wave shape on the front of the head tube. I'm looking for Carltons from that era but not seeing fluted stays on any of the bikes.

At the end of the day I guess its not terribly important. Its a lovely comfortable bike to ride.

midlife

Guru
The larger fluted seat stay caps and the teardrop lugs and Wagner fork crown remind me of a model but can't remember lol

carpenter

Über Member
Fork crown looks like my Carlton Corsa Strada, c mid 60's (but my forks have lamp bracket).

The frame looks like my Carlton built Raleigh Competition c 1980/1?

Can you see the filled in badge holes? It may be possible to work out likely badge from the measurements/position of the holes.

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
Fork crown looks like my Carlton Corsa Strada, c mid 60's (but my forks have lamp bracket).

The frame looks like my Carlton built Raleigh Competition c 1980/1?

Can you see the filled in badge holes? It may be possible to work out likely badge from the measurements/position of the holes.
The Competition is a good guess, the cable guides are in the right place but the lugs appear to have more of a heart rather than teardrop cutout.

I'm at a point where I'm content to let it go, its proving too hard to ID!

carpenter

Über Member
Just looked at my Raleigh Competition, it also has an S (on its side) under the frame number:

WB 2000837, S on its side under the second zero.

So if it is the "makers mark", your frame and mine would seem to have been built by the same person!

On closer/more careful look at your photo though, it isn't a Competition, as they had no clearance for mudguards and no eyelets.

Top Bottom