Carlton clubman

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Looks good and should clean up nicely

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Über Member
Well I've had a good look at this Carlton this afternoon am struggling to find a frame number anywhere some things I have found are campag seat post which came out very easy suntour gs dropouts
Strada stamps on arms
Everything appears to be working ok but needs a really good clean
Anybody got an idea of the year ??
Also got a set of mavic module e rims with campag hubs front and back 6 speed freewheel

midlife

Guru
Mavic module E were for the Elan tyre if I recall. The block lettering and head tube decal lasted about 3-4 years, 1975-77 rings a bell. Suntour dropouts were a later feature.

The stampings for the frame number if under the seat bolt were faint at the best of times :sad:

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Über Member
It is the elan tyre that is on them don't think they will fit on the Carlton because of the brakes
Did Carlton produce bikes without frame numbers
There is one faint number or symbol under the bottom bracket which could be an eight but nothing else

midlife

Guru
One or two carltons left through the back door without numbers but usually one offs rather than a production frame. They were numbered to keep track of stock. The frame builder sometimes stamped the BB. My guess is the number is on the seat tube but full of paint.

The Module E should fit as the Clubman would run sprints / tubs with correct brakes. Not sure I'd dare pump them up lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Über Member
Got to be honest the bike is lovely and am really looking forward to getting it on the road struggling for space a bit so a couple of bikes will have to go to eBay
My fw Evans will be one to go to a new home and my other Carlton and there is a holdsworth frame that may have to go as well

Got to be honest the bike is lovely and am really looking forward to getting it on the road struggling for space a bit so a couple of bikes will have to go to eBay
My fw Evans will be one to go to a new home and my other Carlton and there is a holdsworth frame that may have to go as well
Try mounting them vertically! That is what I am having to do now . I've got to fit 2 more in yet .
I've only put mine together recently but I really like riding it .
Yours has the same style of graphics as mine so it would seem to be of a similar age .

wonderdog

Oh goody - Carlton Corner! Some pix of my trio which I posted a while back on the Carlton/Worksop FB site. Right to left a pink Giro, my latest build a 71 TT Flyer with all original paint and graphics finishes and a Cobra from when I first got the Carlton bug about five years back. Not the top of the cycling pantheon but they certainly knew how to build them.
View attachment 507705

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Über Member
Done quite a bit of cleaning on it over the last few days
One question I have to ask am I wasting my time with the mavic module e rims
Are there still tyres available ?
Would the brakes need to be changed
How would the 6 speed work ?
Some dates of about 77 78 on some of the parts
If the rims won't work I think I have a spare set of 27 X11/4 wheels somewhere would be a shame because the hubs are campag and in good condition

Sorry ! I'm not sure which bike you are talking about?
If the wheels with the Campag hubs aren't suitable they may fit another one of your bikes.
I found that I had to find brakes with the correct drop for my Clubman. I had fancied fitting a pair of Campag ones but they were too short . It is odd as they fitted perfectly on my Raleigh Record Ace which has a similar frame .

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Über Member
Sorry for not making myself clear
When I got the bike I was given another set of wheels with it these are the mavic wheels with the 6 speed freewheel these have the campag hubs
The wheels on the bike were 27x 11/4 but not in good condition
It's whether the mavic wheels would fit correctly

Top Bottom