Carlton Cobra frame - curved stays

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
L

ladiek

I bought it from a guy who's father was an avid Carlton collector who apparently had several Carlton bikes.
It is not known whether or not he had any connection with the factory, however distant but he was not an employee.
There is a possibility that he did because he travelled a lot in the UK.
It is my belief that the frame was made as a protoype around the later 1950's - early 1960's period, when I suspect the "curly" Hetchin's frames were being produced, but I haven't checked their manufacturing dates.
My hunch is that if the frame had been made in the factory around this time and Raleigh took over in 1960, they would have said, "Get rid of this - we're not interested" !
In building this frame there would have been no problem with curving the stays - they would have used straight stays from a bigger frame set.
In my opinion, the Accrillichrome finish was applied in the factory at the same time and until someone can enlighten me. I believe that it was a prototype frame.
How and where it was purchased, by the original [only] owner is anyone's guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
L

ladiek

s-l1600.jpg

carpenter

Über Member
The angle of the seat post wrap around looks dodgy - like it has taken the stress of the bending? so bending would have been after bike was constructed?

OP
OP
L

ladiek

Dave Marsh [Universal Cycles] worked for Carlton after this frame was built and had no knowledge of it's existence.
This bike was not ridden by a fat bloke, or had a rear end shunt, or had someone riding on a rear carrier.
It was built in the factory, c 1966 as a special order for the original and only previous owner.
It is probably the only one ever built / sold.

funk2monk

I can not see what advantage would have been gained by building a frame like this? It would be weaker and the rear end would have flex when riding.
Looks to me like the result from an accident or badly stored??

Venod

Eh up
Top Bottom