Carlton Competition???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevevw

Guru
Shimano would be a cheaper choice like for like in my opinion.
The Suntour Superbe range is fantastic to look at, build quality and function. The Vx works great too.

OP
OP
G

gph1973

Thanks, I'll take a look at the sun tour superbe.

If I was thinking shimano, is there a particular model you would recommend?

This is my 1973 Carlton Competition which I bought second hand as a frame, stem and cranks . I've had it a few years now. It was a bit tatty looking when I first bought it but it has cleaned up quite well.
Trying to find information about these frames on the net is a bit limited. You see things like forged dropouts, chromed fork tips being mentioned. Mine doesn't have these apart from the front fork dropouts which have an S stamped into them . The rear dropouts look like they are just stamped out.
I have been trawling the net to find a similar frame as I was beginning to think that it may have just been made to look like one . The frame is made of tubing, but I still wasn't too sure . I have seen another one which had been restored but couldn't see the parts that I wanted to see. Last night I spotted one in America which was identical to mine . Same colour, and dropouts. It was also a 1973 model. His frame had a Reynolds 531 sticker which stated Butted frame,stays and forks, mine just said butted frame tubes! I have had another look at my transfer and discovered that there is another transfer lying on top of the other one . The American frame also had the frame number stamped into the left hand rear dropout.
So I am now feeling happier that I have discovered an Identical frame and that mine is genuine . Why the transfer was replaced is probably due to the fact that it was damaged and was replaced by something similar.
It would seem that the Competition has undergone a few changes over the years which would make an unidentified frame hard to pin down.
I hope this may prove useful in frame identification .

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I always feel a bit sad and stupid when I see threads about these lovely bikes.

I had a Carlton 10 (Brown/Blue) in approx' 1972/73 which was my first proper road bike (thank's mum!) and I put a good few miles on it with my skinny 16 year old legs!

Idiotically I dumped it on the local tip in Gravesend some 20 years later when a) I was getting into MTB's and b) I was moving to a smaller home post-divorce.

What a fool I was...

I always feel a bit sad and stupid when I see threads about these lovely bikes.

I had a Carlon 10 (Brown/Blue) in approx' 1972/73 which was my first proper road bike (thank's mum!) and I put a good few miles on it with my skinny 16 year old legs!

Idiotically I dumped it on the local tip in Gravesend some 20 years later when a) I was getting into MTB's and b) I was moving to a smaller home post-divorce.

What a fool I was...
That was the thing we tended to do back then . I took my old Sun Mist to the tip . It had provided a service for my dad and my son before it took up space in my shed . It's one of those things you look back with regrets!

To think I could have taken my 1971 Carlton Competition to the skip many years ago makes me shudder! Instead it languished in a damp shed for 20+ years until I looked at it one day and thought . . . what the hell am I thinking about leaving a bike like that in a garden shed. Thankfully I had the good sense to rescue it and it is now nearing the end of it's restoration.

Cobain64

Regular
View attachment 146627 View attachment 146625 View attachment 146624 View attachment 146622 View attachment 146623 View attachment 146620 View attachment 146621

Evening all

I have just picked up my latest acquisition, which, I believe to be, or rather I am told, is a Carlton Competition frame. I was hoping that someone may be able to confirm or deny whether this is the case or not?? I'm also struggling with the serial number to trace that back so any pointers on the best place to look would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time/expertise.

Gavin
I had one exactly the same in the 1980s,was called a carlton clubman.

Cobain64

Regular
This is my 1973 Carlton Competition which I bought second hand as a frame, stem and cranks . I've had it a few years now. It was a bit tatty looking when I first bought it but it has cleaned up quite well.
Trying to find information about these frames on the net is a bit limited. You see things like forged dropouts, chromed fork tips being mentioned. Mine doesn't have these apart from the front fork dropouts which have an S stamped into them . The rear dropouts look like they are just stamped out.
I have been trawling the net to find a similar frame as I was beginning to think that it may have just been made to look like one . The frame is made of tubing, but I still wasn't too sure . I have seen another one which had been restored but couldn't see the parts that I wanted to see. Last night I spotted one in America which was identical to mine . Same colour, and dropouts. It was also a 1973 model. His frame had a Reynolds 531 sticker which stated Butted frame,stays and forks, mine just said butted frame tubes! I have had another look at my transfer and discovered that there is another transfer lying on top of the other one . The American frame also had the frame number stamped into the left hand rear dropout.
So I am now feeling happier that I have discovered an Identical frame and that mine is genuine . Why the transfer was replaced is probably due to the fact that it was damaged and was replaced by something similar.
It would seem that the Competition has undergone a few changes over the years which would make an unidentified frame hard to pin down.
I hope this may prove useful in frame identification . View attachment 505312

View attachment 505313

View attachment 505315

View attachment 505316
This my recent find,looks a little different now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211031-213935.jpg
    Screenshot_20211031-213935.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20211031-213422.jpg
    Screenshot_20211031-213422.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 10
Top Bottom