Carlton Continental c1972

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
This was my very first proper bike, I got this second hand way back in 1976. I still have it today, although its just entered the works for a full clean and service.

I took these pictures a few years ago. Its equipped with 12-speed set up, 32 tooth rear sprocket and a mega-range rear mech (I used to use this for commuting - Plymouth has tons of hills!)

Frame is 21" and uses (then) Weinmann 730 brakes, but I have since fitted some old GB Syncron (a sort of sidepull/centre pull hybrid developed by GB and Altenburger), Ofmega 42/52 front chainwheels and the obligatory Brooks B17 saddle.
Ive fitted this one out with an old Pleischer alloy rack and a superb Miller Dynamo with twin bulb headlamp. I use LED back up too.

Im hoping to get this one back on the road later this year and may cover the refurb in a new thread if people dont mind seeing yet another Carlton in my workshop.

MIKESPICS012-1.jpg

MIKESPICS006-1.jpg

Shimano 600 levers
MIKESPICS005-1.jpg

Not for the purist, it woks very well indeed though.
MIKESPICS010-1.jpg

Crepera lugs and the famous headbadge...
MIKESPICS008-1.jpg

gbb

Legendary Member
It looks in good nick Spokesmann.
I used to have one maybe 15 years ago...a good solid bike that did me for commuting for a few years, nowhere near as nice condition as yours, but rock solid anyway.
Seem to remember mine was a pale brown / copper colour.
531 ? Cant remember whether it was ? Gave it away in the end...wish i'd kept it now.

Nice bike anyway...

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

It looks in good nick Spokesmann.
I used to have one maybe 15 years ago...a good solid bike that did me for commuting for a few years, nowhere near as nice condition as yours, but rock solid anyway.
Seem to remember mine was a pale brown / copper colour.
531 ? Cant remember whether it was ? Gave it away in the end...wish i'd kept it now.

Nice bike anyway...

The Continental was just the entry level Carlton back in the 1970s, bog standard Tru-wel frame I think, but still reasonably put together for a low end machine.

stevevw

Guru
Mike
I think you are single handedly boosting the ebay price of old Carlton’s. I know the ones and the GB parts I have been trying to get have been going for more money than they should be or I can afford. ;)

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Mike
I think you are single handedly boosting the ebay price of old Carlton’s. I know the ones and the GB parts I have been trying to get have been going for more money than they should be or I can afford. ;)

Oops sorry
icon_redface.gif

Just keeping the Carlton image burnished!

There are still bargains out there... like a certain Constellation Ive got for £70.

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

This bike entered the works today for a full overhaul and clean:

P7150511.jpg

Chain is 'caked'!
P7150512.jpg

P7150514.jpg

P7150515.jpg

P7150516.jpg

Need a couple of new tyres and the back wheel truing up. A couple of new B block is all that is required oh and plenty of degreaser and elbow work!

I think it looks superb already. Your comments on the hills of Plymouth took me back to my youth when my friend and I used to scale them with pride when we were able to do so without getting out of the saddle. My boyhood pal had a fully chrome-plated Carlton, and boy did I envy him.

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

I think it looks superb already. Your comments on the hills of Plymouth took me back to my youth when my friend and I used to scale them with pride when we were able to do so without getting out of the saddle. My boyhood pal had a fully chrome-plated Carlton, and boy did I envy him.

Chrome - a Carlton speciality!
wub.gif

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Chrome - a Carlton speciality!
wub.gif
<Monty Python> Chrome, chrome, chrome, luvverly chrome!</Monty Python>

There is a chrome one (with the thin blue paint) on ebay at the moment, along with a bronze Corsa that's in fantastic condition. Luckily,both too big for me :sad:

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

There is a chrome one (with the thin blue paint) on ebay at the moment, along with a bronze Corsa that's in fantastic condition. Luckily,both too big for me :sad:

Ive seen them, the Bronze Corsa always seemed to be less common to me.

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

A Bronze Corsa I saw on evilbay a year or so ago... Un-ridden and with all the new tags and guarantee details....
MIKESPICS007-2.jpg

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Done a little more cleaning and general tidying to the cycle over the weekend.

This bike has been in my possession since I was 12-13 so its very precious to me.

P7200607.jpg

Rear wheel needs a little truing. Note the 32 tooth 6-speed block.

P7200606.jpg

Front wheel is original, I love large flange hubs. Being cleaned!

P7200605.jpg

A view of the asymmetrical brake. A badge engineered job for GB, these were made by Altenburger in Germany. I have only ever seen them fitted to one other bike and that was a Sun Squadra of the early 1970s. They work very well and are much better than the Weinmann 730 that came with the bike.

P7200604.jpg

The Shimano 600 levers, the right lever is both SIS and friction and can be set to either.

P7200603.jpg

Fork crown looking cleaner.

P7200602.jpg

Rear brake and Miller dynamo which run the front lamp and also the rear built -light on the SKS mudgaurds.

P7200601.jpg

Worn but clean now, front changer is a Shimano 600.

P7200600.jpg

Top Bottom