Carlton Corinthian c1955

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Carltons leave me a bit cold, but this one is the canines cojones.

Don't forget though, that a lot of the expertise and therefore the reputation that Raleigh's high quality 531 bikes later attained, came via their acquisition of Carlton. I'd agree a lot of Carltons were fairly basic spec on paper with plain gauge Tru-wel tubing and 5 speed cottered chainset gearing, but they definitely knew their stuff with frame geometry. The one I've tried out rode far better than it had any right to based on its paper specs.

Drago

Legendary Member
Don't forget though, that a lot of the expertise and therefore the reputation that Raleigh's high quality 531 bikes later attained, came via their acquisition of Carlton. I'd agree a lot of Carltons were fairly basic spec on paper with plain gauge Tru-wel tubing and 5 speed cottered chainset gearing, but they definitely knew their stuff with frame geometry. The one I've tried out rode far better than it had any right to based on its paper specs.
I'm not a particular fan of 531 raleighs either :laugh:

I don't dislike them, but for what they cost the buyer was suddenly in the buying territory of established 531 makers, which rendered them a little pointless. The bulk of the buying public seemed to agree with me.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'm not a particular fan of 531 raleighs either :laugh:

Philistine.....:rolleyes:
I'm not so sure I agree the majority of the public agreed with you either, as I reckon secondhand 531 machines from the mid or larger size outfits such as Dawes and Raleigh significantly outnumber those from the micro-sized custom builders.
Between them they sold a shed load of off the peg quality tourers, which came to be regarded as the benchmark standard for factory- built machines of that type.
I can see why anyone wanting a made to measure custom frame might choose a small builder rather than Raleigh, because of the more personal, one-to-one nature of such workshops. I can't believe they would have been able to come that close on price though. Off the peg must have been sufficiently cheaper otherwise why wouldn't every rider go for custom?

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Got a chance a few days ago for a quick test ride. Just a couple of small issues to sort, but it rode well with a smooth transmission thanks to a new chain, re-greased wheel hubs and a new sealed BB spindle.

Attachments

• P2150762.JPG
    P2150762.JPG
    343.5 KB · Views: 7
  • P2150763.JPG
    P2150763.JPG
    323.9 KB · Views: 7
  • P2150764.JPG
    P2150764.JPG
    295.5 KB · Views: 7
Top Bottom