Carlton Corsa find

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Im going to have a stab at saying it may well be an early 70s Criterium, which has been painted yellow with the later block/sans serif lettering 1977 on...
One thing that troubles me though is the forks are wrong, chrome, yes, but not sloping crown. The Crespera lugs and chromed head stock put it in the late 60s early 70s, about as much as I can offer for now. Is there s frame number on the left rear drop out?

Last edited:

ChrisEyles

Guru
This probably marks me out as a philistine... but I quite liked the bright yellow paint job! Good luck with the resto :smile:

OP
OP
flashspix

flashspix

Brilliant Mike thanks for the heads up, I have been floundering thought it was a 68 -72 just going on the head badge

Lol @ChrisEyles I think even the most die hard yellow fan would have been reaching for the stripper if they saw how badly applied the paint job was, the decals literally crumbled away to the touch, no lacquer.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Haha, you could always repaint in beautiful (i.e. loud!) smooth yellow then ;) I'll always have a soft spot for bright yellow bikes (my first proper road bike was a yellow puch alpine).

Seriously though, looks like you've done a good job of stripping it back. Are you going for the (original?) metallic red for the repaint?

OP
OP
flashspix

flashspix

p1401230714-5.jpg

Haha, you could always repaint in beautiful (i.e. loud!) smooth yellow then ;) I'll always have a soft spot for bright yellow bikes (my first proper road bike was a yellow puch alpine).

Seriously though, looks like you've done a good job of stripping it back. Are you going for the (original?) metallic red for the repaint?

p1401225512-4.jpg

p1401225839-4.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
looking good @flashspix 700's are easier to source , but imho 27" ride nicer .

loads of places selling prs of 27" wheels for less than £50 notes new but they are only single wall construction , so keep scouring the ads for an older pr would be my advice .

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Digging around, another model that fits the bill was the late 60s Corsair. same head stock lug treatment.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Gearing-wise, assuming you're using the original crankset and it's a 52/42 old-style road double, I'd get hold of a 13-28 or 14-28 six speed freewheel if the derailleur can handle the range - you will be grateful for that 28t sprocket!

As for the wheels, it's worth thinking about your tyre choice a little here. If you want to run high pressure 27 x 1,1/4" tyres (e.g. panaracer paselas at recommended 95psi, which are excellent), you need proper clinchers with a "lip" to hold the tyre in place. Some older wheels have a straight up-and-down profile which won't allow the use of high pressure tyres - just something to watch out for.

Metallic red is the right choice for this one I think, much as I would love a yellow one myself ;) Looking forward to seeing how you get on with the restoration!

Top Bottom