Carlton cyclone buying advice...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thayne

Hi guys,

Newbie here (so bear with me...)
I'm a uni student and have been offered a 1979(ish) Carlton Cyclone for £50 off a work friend.
Initial thoughts on the price? It's not in 'great' condition - definitely needs new tyres and a polish but I'm hoping the rest is ok (maybe superficial rust, new chain etc.). Giving it a look over tomorrow - will check frame/wheels to make sure that it isn't useless! It's also a 25" frame and I'm 6' so going to hope it's an okay fit (remember that you cant really compare to modern sizes...)
Similar bikes seem to be ridiculously expensive (as mentioned on other threads) on ebay and I'm really just looking to fix it up to take to uni to be a nice easy ride. Nothing special as I've heard the cyclone is nothing special itself :sad: Could be a small project with my dad before I go back...

Anyway, just wanting opinions on whether you think it's a decent price, whether I'm being ripped off and maybe what you'd do given the same offer!

Cheers.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Thayne have you seen this thread http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/carlton-on-flickr.138655/#post-2630401

£50 doesnt sound to bad depending on condition , expect it too be a bit on the heavy side but should be ideal for a uni bike

oh and we need pics please

OP
OP
T

Thayne

Thanks for the quick response :smile:

That thread is good too! Yeah I've heard it's heavy as a large frame but as a first little fix-up project I'm hoping it will do.

I'll probably end up getting it then, hopefully for a lower price, and will pic it then for feedback...Thanks biggs682

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sounds good. The frame size should be OK for you. I am just over 6' and have a bike the same size and it is fine, I like a larger frame. You may have to true up the wheels a bit and replace a few cables but shouldn't be too expensive. Check the BB by wiggling the cranks side to side and the head race by holding the front brake on and pushing back and forth, there should be very little play. Most of the work can be done with a few simple tools but the wheel truing/spoke tightening needs to be done by a bike shop. Good luck.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
They are reasonble mounts. A very late Carlton, so not very high end, sound and solid though. A chap rides one into work here, it still has one or two nice touches from when Carlton were great.

Top Bottom