Carlton Grand Prix

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gph1973

image.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpeg
Evening all. I have managed to pick up a Carlton Grand Prix, or at least that is how it is decaled up. However, the serial number on the drop out seems slightly odd, roughly done etc, and so just wanted some expert opinion on whether it is right or not. Pics to follow for your assessment.

I can't find any reference to a serial number starting with a K and then four numbers!

Many thanks

midlife

Guru
Not a Grand Prix underneath, only on the tablet so pics a bit muddy but looks a bit Flyer ish or a Falcon.

Shaun

OP
OP
G

gph1973

Thanks for that Shaun.

The lugwork is really nice and I believe it's Reynolds 531 but other than that I have nothing to go on if it's not a Grand Prix but I will look at the flyers as my next move.

OP
OP
G

gph1973

[QUOTE 3995253, member: 259"]It looks fab - are you storing it in adisused mine? :smile:[/QUOTE]
Ha.

No I only picked it up after dark and wanted some pics to post. Admittedly they are not the best!!

midlife

Guru
K is 1962 if is a Carlton, there used to be a site called CarltonMe which dissapeard. Spokesmann on here is our go to Carlton guy.

30 years ago I used to sell Carlton Grand Prix, the red was Fire Red and was a yellow colour with a red paint on top. They had Crespera lugs and not the Flyer style of the OP frame. Forks look a bit odd and wonder if they belong.

Have a Google for Flyer Carlton lugs as my money is on a 1962 Carlton Flyer variant. He seat stays should wrap round and just about touch.

Shaun

midlife

Guru
Those are Crespera lugs from 1967 to 1974 with matching badge :smile:

The OP's frame has much later decals, head badge and odd looking forks. A pic of the seat stays may help as the Flyer often had a really nice arrangement. :smile:
MIKESPICS008.jpg

Thank you Mr Spokesman.

Shaun

OP
OP
G

gph1973

Those are Crespera lugs from 1967 to 1974 with matching badge :smile:

The OP's frame has much later decals, head badge and odd looking forks. A pic of the seat stays may help as the Flyer often had a really nice arrangement. :smile:
MIKESPICS008.jpg

Thank you Mr Spokesman.

Shaun

The closest I've got to a pic of the seat stays. Does this help?
image.jpeg

OP
OP
G

gph1973

Wouldn't the triple spoke chain wheel and extra levers on the Weinmann brakes point to it being an early 70's model. If the parts are original there should be a date stamp on the back of the brakes.

To be honest it seems to be a complete mish mash. Grand Prix decals although not a Grand Prix. I'd just like to identify the frame as a starter for 10 and its age and then the fun can begin!!!

To be honest it seems to be a complete mish mash. Grand Prix decals although not a Grand Prix. I'da previous owne to identify the frame as a starter for 10 and its age and then the fun can begin!!!
As you say it seems a bit of a mixture. The rear frame has got a bridge for centre pulls yet it has side pulls. Perhaps it is like my Carlton, a previous owner stripped and sold the bike as spares and somebody else put it back together with near period parts.

Top Bottom