Carlton paint strip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnymak

I have a carlton catalina 1962 I believe
The paint is abit rough so I'm looking to maybe strip it
I'm hoping its chrome underneath
Maybe somebody could enlighten me more

Whsts the best method to strip the paint without damaging the chrome

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190809-222924_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20190809-222924_eBay.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20190810-164152_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20190810-164152_eBay.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20190810-164108_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20190810-164108_eBay.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20190810-163949_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20190810-163949_eBay.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20190810-164137_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20190810-164137_eBay.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20190810-164027_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20190810-164027_eBay.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 20

Globalti

Legendary Member
@Cycleops to the forum please!

bigjim

Legendary Member
I used sandpaper to strip a frame. It's relatively gentle and bike paint isn't that thick. Soon comes off. Hardest bit is getting it out of the corners/edges. Some people use paint stripper. It's nasty stuff. Remember to wear a safety mask whichever option you use. I wouldn't do it again. I'd just touch it up and ride it with the patina. It's an expensive business to professionally respray a frame. Aerosols work but the paint is easily scratched down to the metal. Also it's supposed to be harder to sell a resprayed frame on as people don't know what the new paint job is hiding and the bike has lost it's originality.

midlife

Guru
Unlikely, the whole head tube will be chromed as well as the lugs plus the front of the top and down tube where its dunked in the plating solution.

I've posted on this thread before, is there a duplicate somewhere?

Last edited:

midlife

Guru

OP
OP
Johnymak

Johnymak

I used sandpaper to strip a frame. It's relatively gentle and bike paint isn't that thick. Soon comes off. Hardest bit is getting it out of the corners/edges. Some people use paint stripper. It's nasty stuff. Remember to wear a safety mask whichever option you use. I wouldn't do it again. I'd just touch it up and ride it with the patina. It's an expensive business to professionally respray a frame. Aerosols work but the paint is easily scratched down to the metal. Also it's supposed to be harder to sell a resprayed frame on as people don't know what the new paint job is hiding and the bike has lost it's originality.

Looking at the pictures in the frame there seems to be chrome underneath on the top tube and down tube
There was another version of the catalina released the same year that was all chrome
Maybe I'm just being optimistic
And I would probably just touch up if it's not all chrome

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Save up and get it re-enamelled. Home painting is never worth the hassle, gives a second-rate finish and isn't even that cheap. Trust me, I've done it.
I've done it as well, not really a fan unless it's an important bike to you. Mix up paint, ready air brushes, set up spray booth, spray primer, spray a few coats of paint, then clear coat, then drying, as well as cleaning brushes. Takes forever, need the right weather in terms of temperature and humidity. No guarantee on results.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Yes, the weather is only warm, dry and windless about ten days a year! If you use rattle cans, expect seven or eight per frameset, including primer, colour coat and lacquer. Most of it misses the tubes and is wasted. Add up eight cans at about £7 each, paint stripping materials and days of your time for an indifferent result and you'll wish you'd paid someone £150 instead.

Top Bottom