Carlton Pro Am 12 rebuild

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KEW

Hi all! I have just bought a Carlton Pro Am 12 frame and I intend to rebuild it to as near to original as possible. I am currently trying to research parts I need to buy/find (a shopping list) to do so. I am confident I have found almost every part required apart from the wheels. I think they should have 70's/80's Maillard low flange hubs (not atom) and Weinmann 700c clincher rims.
Any verification or other info would be greatly appreciated.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Maillard sounds about right. I refurbished mine a year or so ago and have plenty of images.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
P9201009_zps6d78d560.jpg

P9201010_zpsc552393f.jpg

P9251087_zps6bb7c43c.jpg

OP
OP
KEW

KEW

Thanks for the confirmation. Do you think that type 500 brakes would have come with it originally, I was fairly certain about this but recently found someone suggesting it came with the type 600.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
My Worksop 531 Raleigh (only difference between it and a Carlton is the headbadge and the cable guides on the top tube) had type 500s, original mechs would have probably been Shimano 600/Golden Arrow.

OP
OP
KEW

KEW

Hmm. I think I'm gonna go with what Spokesmann said. It seems more likely to me, especially considering that the frame has a Carlton Weinmann sticker just above the shifters (can see in pic 3)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Better than the Simplex originally fitted to my 67-68 Carlton Clubman, false 'neutrals aplenty if you hadn't got it in gear exactly :eek:
I changed them for full 'New 105' in 1988 or so when it got a full rebuild for its 21st birthday (long overdue)

OP
OP
KEW

KEW

Anyone got a suggestion for what rims would be nice on this bike. Currently looking at possibly getting a pair of Mavic module E's.

Top Bottom